Large files support

Want to recall comment from Jun '19

splitting large files sounds great i love to see that
for those who are concerned about storage space on servers you can still add a limit (for example 70mb) which is the same as sending something like 20 photos.

yes but it is possible to add a limit (50-80 MB) for split-able files
it will be like sending 2 25MB files

user-group use it onprem imap server and very big file size supported, but dc static size using 25MB.

I think ipfs could be the way to go instead. As they suggest in their forum, IPFS for file distribution in local network - #5 by wclayf - Help - discuss.ipfs.io but also Ipfs only in a local network - #9 by Kubuxu - Help - discuss.ipfs.io (these are the first two results i got from googling ā€œipfs local networkā€) ipfs can be hosted on a ā€œprivateā€ network. So, in other terms, if youā€™re in a country with a restricted connectivity or with a particular internet setup (as in this case Cuba) you can use that one instead of the public mainnet. It would be only a matter of adding a specific setting in the Delta chat application regarding where to share a file.

In my opinion this would fit the decentralized nature of Delta chat, giving the possibility to choose where you want to share your file (in which ipfs network).

A solution should (when ever possible):

• not adding any further external dependencies
  • working everywhere
  • reliable
  • simple to implement

I would see these traits in ā€œsplit fileā€ approach.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

that is correct but as a messenger app one may send 2 videos(25MB+25MB) per day and its the same thing as sending one large video(50MB) so we are doing it right now.
i know i mentioned this and i donā€™t want to be annoying but its a very big improvement and all my friends are waiting for this to happen.
:wink:

Isnā€™t it that with this system there is the problem of quickly consuming the daily limit of emails? :thinking:

2 Likes

sending a large file will create this problem.
by adding a limit for split-able files lets say ~50-70MB the number of parts are reduced so one 50MB video will be sent as 3 or 4 emailsā€¦thatā€™s not a lot
right now the file size limit is too low.

BTW: Regardless of the size of the attachment, it is up to the recipient to decide whether to receive the attachment. The current version always forces the automatic download of the attachment. To improve this, please refer to Telegram.

2 Likes

At least for DC to DC transfer there could be the possibility to send an opening message with a ā€œtransfer big dataā€ request. When receiver confirms, then the real transfer in multiple bigger chunks could start.
I suspect for a standard MUA this is not possible (or only manually).

2 Likes

it depends what you e-mail server use. wp.pl offer 100 MB attachments :wink:

Problem is that your contacts will usually have a different, much lower limits. So if you try to send such attachment to another server, your mail will not reach the recipient.

1 Like

how about something like magic wormhole? GitHub - magic-wormhole/magic-wormhole: get things from one computer to another, safely

6 Likes

I just canā€™t stop thinking about this!
it will be really nice to be able to send large files(up to 100MBs)
splitting the files to 10MB part seems really good.

guys, delta need moneyā€¦ small team and working real life.

3 Likes

ā€¦ and more people who are able to support programming in real life :wink:

3 Likes

Somehow is it possible to add this thing in DC?

1 Like

Is it correct that the size of attachments is limited by the mail server providerā€™s restrictions?

Hello :wave:,
yes, this is correct.
Many mail providers provide cloud storage in addition to the email account.
Therefore, in my opinion, the best solution for large files is simply to send a cloud link.
Then the recipient can decide whether and when to download the file.
In addition, not so much memory is occupied in his mailbox.
A possible link password can be transmitted in encrypted form via DC.
Unfortunately, iCloud links only work with other Apple users.
But there really are enough other cloud providers.
By the way, it is also possible to mimic the status feature of WhatsApp in DC with a cloud service.