Mapbox sends too many data to their servers

what firewall do you use? if it is NetGuard it only reports the first few attempts to me.

this will be nice for the “share location once”, but I guess it doesn’t work for location streaming, where we need more integration with the app, sending a bunch of coordinates to let the user check them manually has bad UX

Yes, I disabled mapping feature completely and with last fix from r10s delta chat stopped making connections to 3rd party services.
As I already said, IMO it better to simply stream geolocation as a simple text pair with longitude/latitude and mark them as a link, so if one need to position it on map, it just a matter of clicking on it and DC simply through a list of maps application(s) installed on user’s device.
I agree that it’s may be not the best solution from point of UX, but at least privacy wouldn’t be affected. To satisfy user experience (position coordinates on a map) DC have to use either offline maps which I think is unrealistic due to size of maps or be on mercy of 3rd party services that will track users regardless of their policies. Even if DC will offer some interface to download partial world’s offline maps - it duplicating existing “maps” apps, so I still think that use 3rd party maps application on user device is a way to go with this feature.

One more thought regarding my proposal to use simple lat/lon, DC in streaming location mode can paste to messages exact current position and accumulated path from start as GPX file that is a simple XML and well understood by maps apps, so clicking on it will draw path in OsmAnd for example. One more advantage of that is since DC can stream location on periodic bases, then each chat messages will be timestamped, so GPX file will show exact path and last location at particular point in time in map application as a path line.

I used “NoRoot Firewall” to spot this issue. IMHO it is most simple but gives granular control over others. The only disadvantage - it still doesn’t supports IPv6, so if one is on 4g/LTE connection it can be bypassed, but I usually explore apps in WiFi mode on IPv4 network only with disabled mobile connection and behind FreeBSD with PF firewall, so it gives most accurate result by comparing both logs.

is it free sofware? I am interested, currently I use NetGuard, but is annoying me because it have some features only if you buy the “pro” version

Hi, thanks @AlexJ for your answer,
but opening maps with another app for positioning visualisations, sounds a little like only putting the trash bin in front of the house to me. It might not reduce the amount of junk. :wink:
It could be reasonable to only support specific privacy friendly apps, but…

Not duplicating the amount of offline map data is a good point you raised, I remember, when looking throught the mapping libraries, there was some issue of some lib that said it would use the osmand offline maps when present.
So, using another maping library, that supports map sharing with another map application might be the perfect combing for UX and offline maps in DC.

I too agee that, UX wise e.g. switching location sending from within the map view is more intuitive. An integrated map feature is much more user friendly and could at the same time deliver the privacy friendliness (and map data sharing).

Looks like Mapsforge(iOS fork see above) is the most community oriented offline map sharing mapping library.
Info at one map generation project: Locus: Kartendaten auf SD-Karte - openandromaps
(e.g. orus and locus use the mapsforge lib mapsforge/docs/Mapsforge-Applications.md at master · mapsforge/mapsforge · GitHub)

other
(Offline map using osm · Issue #10 · sharenowTech/AnyMaps · GitHub)
(https://osmand.net/help-online#failed_to_use_sdcard_on_4_4)

1 Like

Im sorry for delayed answer, has been very busy at work.

Yes, NoRoot Firewall is free and free of ads.
Here where it lives: NoRoot Firewall @ Google Play
Its concept of work - is to create VPN at localhost, so it can filter all connections.

If you having rooted device then there is much more advanced firewall that called AFWall+, that literally control kernel’s firewall, control IPv4, IPv6 as well VPN