Proposal: logo update

I have voted for the “modern” logo with the uppercase.

But still I believe the logo update is not that important.
It’s always possible to change it later. Maybe on a bigger Version jump. Maybe Version 1.x to 2.

There are currently much more important things to do.
E.G. release version 1.0 :wink:

In my experience it isn’t a good idea to “outsource” specific design decisions to a public poll. My goal was to either gain support and trust by putting forth what I regard an improvement – or – not. And that’s fine, too. It saves me an incredible amount of extra effort to know this right from the start.

Thanks for showing your support though! :blush:

my biggest concern about the current logo is that it’s too similar to whatsapp’s one…
so how about doing something in between of the original and the new proposed one by @mray ?
at least I would get rid of the white outer part and the border around it, which make it that much like whatsapp’s one
and I would make some general changes to make it more material like (as deltachat desktop goes into the direction of material design too)

take a look at my proposal here:
https://github.com/deltachat/interface/issues/15
opinions?

FWIW I’ve been involved in a couple logo discussions in open source projects over the last years. Usually it was driven by the most active developers who defined what characteristics, colors they want, along with some rough ideas and examples of what they liked. And then get design suggestions (sometimes from professionals, sometimes from community) and select and refine the most fitting one. A few logos out of this process survived until this day, others were changed some time later again. Professional designers with experience told me that they need 1-2 persons to talk to and that discussing design in a large group does not work well in their experience or requires a lot more work. So, all in all, it rarely was an easy feat to get a new logo which finds agreement by larger parts of a community.

1 Like

I think a general poll and feedback from many people with no background in design is not the best way to make design decisions.

The current logo is not terrible. However, I think the proposed logo is more modern, refined and distinctive than the current one. It could give the project that little extra appeal to someone coming across the project that might make them look a little closer and lead to more users.

I also see some people making comments about how working on the code is more important right now than design work as if that is a reason to put this off. That is nonsensical IMO as contributors have different skills and a designer can work hard on that aspect without affecting the work of the programmers doing what they do.

3 Likes

I created

to collect all proposed logos so we can finally vote about them. If you have created a logo, feel free to post it there, so it can be included into the comparison…

@mray I hope you’re okay that I already added your logo there

What 1-2 persons would one have to approach in Delta Chat?