Subcategories for other languages

For people who are not confident enough in english and want to discuss things/ask questions in their native language.
We could start with Spanish and German and add new languages as we go.

4 Likes

I like how they do mixing of languages in other Discources without dividing into subcategories. You can choose your audience choosing your language. Or include translations in your post.

I don’t really like mixing of languages in one thread, in that case the downside is that most of the post is going to be translations which makes it a bit harder to read.
I think sub categories for general discussions are a good step so that people can get involved that don’t feel confident in their English skills.

3 Likes

I changed the subcategories to top level categories and added the local name + flag emoji for more easy recognition.
I also adjusted the category page a bit.

Update:
@hpk and @r10s decided to remove the flags because languages aren’t associated with only one country so we should avoid country flags.

Can’t you just add tags for the language used in the discussion?

In this way other languages also take advantage of the categories already created instead of an isolated and unordered environment (the extra category) for “everything that comes to this language”.

Well, is that or create a dedicated forum for each language and, if you prefer, categories inside it but I doubt that is possible in Discourse.

if there are more topics in those forums we can add sub forums, at the moment there are not enough topics there to justify categories.

What is the amount of topics you need for categories?.

Feature requests, bug reports and mutual help are already topics touched by the people and I consider them, enough, for main categories.

Did you also read my first proposition to make tags for the languages and not categories?

I already stated my option above that I dislike mixing languages in the main forum and multiple languages in one post.

TL;DR;
I will add those subcategories when we have enough posts in an language category (like 20, 30 or 50)

When there is more activity in those language sub forums, I can create categories. But as of now there is not enough content to justify spiting it into categories for now IMO.

Also the developers will probably only look at English feature proposals so the feature proposals in the language sub forums will need to have an English version created and linked when they gain enough people that say its important to them.

So English is still the main language of the forum, but people that don’t feel confident in english or can’t speak it at all can go to the language subforums to speak in their native language with other people that speak their language.

I already stated my option above that I dislike mixing languages in the main forum and multiple languages in one post.

No, you only set the second one (“I don’t really like mixing of languages in one thread”), this is new and has no sense itself because you can filter by tag easily.

When there is more activity in those language sub forums, I can create categories.

Preventing people take it seriously for real discussions about it, because of faulty categories, doesn’t make it suitable to have a limited use, mostly questions in a beginning. Categories must exist from the beginning too.

Also the developers will probably only look at English feature proposals so the feature proposals in the language sub forums will need to have an English version created and linked when they gain enough people that say its important to them.

Developers have the GitHub issues for that and also you limit it to just “Feature proposals”. The translation there could be a person designated in the forum of each language too.

but people that don’t feel confident in english or can’t speak it at all can go to the language subforums to speak in their native language with other people that speak their language.

Which doesn’t have any sense because if you just “don’t feel confident” (more an “I don’t speak english”) and wanted to maintain a serious/complete discussion you can’t simply because the developers are going to check them in english (addressing again to people assigned to translations or backporting reports).

sounded like having threads with mixed languages to me.

I can also check German proposals, but I cannot understand Spanish ones. I wanted to point out the fact that we need to also have the proposals in English eventually so every developer can understand them.

Fine I’ll create some categories, but this won’t lead to instant more activity even if you tell it as if it would.

@Echedey_Lopez_Romerocan you tell me what the Spanish terms are for the categories?

Lets do mutual help and feature proposals for the start, we can always add more categories as thez are needed.

sounded like having threads with mixed languages to me.

Subcategories for other languages is a discussion itself where “mixing languages in one thread” is setting different messages in the same discussion in different languages as I understood being written like that.

What I proposed is a tag for each individual discussion, setting a different main language for each discussion itself.

I wanted to point out the fact that we need to also have the proposals in English eventually so every developer can understand them.

I wanted to propose some people who understand spanish which could be involved and are involved itself on the development and reporting, f.ex @adbenitez.

but this won’t lead to instant more activity even if you tell it as if it would.

It’s never at instant but set mostly a preference since the environment is complete for any discussion.

Lets do mutual help and feature proposals for the start, we can always add more categories as thez are needed.

Feature Proposals: “Propuestas de Características”
Mutual Help: “Ayuda Mutua”

May I make you the owner of the topic description posts?
that way you can edit the description of those topic.

Thanks now I understand it fully. But I still think it will get to fragmented that way. You can mute the categories of languages that you don’t understand so you don’t see them in latest, i think you can’t do that with tags.

I have no issues, but not sure if @adbenitez would be a better candidate for now or the future. You can still choose me by now.

Ouch, then I accept that cannot be applied.

In a near future, put main categories (the ones in english) inside English main category to organize the forum based on languages similar to the Trisquel (GNU/Linux-Libre) one.

Hello.
I have already made several requests to add the Russian language
And even today I already wrote about it personally.
I would be immensely grateful if this happens.

Since now you have to rewrite everything in one topic and this is not very convenient.

I created a category for russian, but as I don’t speak russian myself I need your help to translate/write the descriptions:

Example from the german subforum:
About the Deutsch / German category
Über die Vorschläge für neue Funktionen category
Über die Hilfe Kategorie