šŸš§ Adoption Blockers: What is the most anoying missing Feature to you?

This is the same thing as @darhma requested above, already implemented in nightlies. The only requirement is that the server supports CONDSTORE extension.

2 Likes

I agree ā€œnotificationsā€, not work many android phone models.

Hi there,
as already mentioned, the problem with Push Notifications on iOS is often a sticking point.
Would it be possible to use the Apple Notification Service with iCloud Email Accounts as an option?
You could point out the privacy issues in the settings.
Most iOS users should have an iCloud Email Account and could then decide whether privacy or convenience is more important to them.
I think the better DC can be used as a normal email client, the easier it is to convince someone.
If you start using the app for emails, you will increasingly use it as a messenger.
In my opinion, these three small changes could help improve DC in this regard:

• Possibility to display a field for the subject, similar to Apple Messenger. For example via a symbol on the right in the input field.

• For a better overview, put the subject in the speech bubbles in bold and on a separate line.

• It would make it easier to write longer emails if the input field could be enlarged if necessary. For example an arrow pointing up. When the user taps on it, the box would expand upwards.

But for me personally, only these two functions are really important:

• Export chat history as text, PDF or HTML file

• The ability to jump to a specific date in the chat history. A feature that is oddly absent in most messengers.

1 Like

iMessage has this? or what do you mean by ā€˜Apple Messengerā€™?

how should we get push notifications for iCloud mail? itā€™s probably harder to talk to apple to implement DC compatibility stuff than if we would talk to smaller providers.

Sorry, I mean iMessage of course.
You can enable this feature in the settings.
The field for the subject then appears above the input field.
In the speech bubbles, the subject is shown in bold on a separate line.

https://secinfinity.net/so-fugen-sie-nachrichten-auf-dem-iphone-eine-betreffzeile-hinzu/

Iā€™m not an expert, but so far Iā€™ve always understood the PUSH system like this:
A message arrives on a server (e.g. WhatsApp), which informs the APNS and the Apple PUSH server then informs the device about the message that has arrived.
This cannot work with e-mails because the provider does not have the Apple user id.
The iCloud mail server, on the other hand, has this data.
For me, new e-mails are always displayed immediately in the Mail app (PUSH is activated).
Wouldnā€™t it be possible for DC to also use this function for iCloud mail accounts?
Otherwise, DeltaChat works fine with iCloud mail.

can work with the app publisher (us) running a relay server that provides an api to ping/wake up iDevices. So the deltachat client registers at the relay and if the provider supports it it gets the token that they can use at the relay to wakeup the device when a new message comes in. Thatā€™s actually the second step in our plan with the heartbeat server (that currently tries to wake up DC all 10min on all devices).

I believe the system mail app still has an exception that it is not killed in the background and as such can use IMAP push/idle. (also iCloud might trigger a push notification over APN)
There is a program that we can apply to that DC can be set as default mail app on iOS, but I donā€™t know if we get the background privilege too in that case.
In anywise itā€™s not just programming, but also burocratic communication with apple that nobody of use came down to do, yet. Or the relay idea, which is also 7% programming, 93% convincing providers to support it. (so the idea was to first program and test with a test provider and then try to convince the other providers with an easy solution that they can deploy quickly)

I didnā€™t realize that the provider of an app always needs its own server.
I thought in this particular case the Apple mail server would be the provider, which informs the APNS.

Perhaps mail apps inherently have this permission.
I have tested Spark with 3 different mail accounts. On iCloud and GMX, PUSH worked regardless of whether Spark was set up as the primary mail app. Only one account (company) didnā€™t work.

Spark has a server that acts as a proxy between your email server and your mobile phone. You give your login and password to Spark server, then Spark server connects to your email server and downloads messages to notify you about any new messages. See their privacy policy, it specifically talks about your email credentials being sent to ā€œSpark Servicesā€:

Delta Chat does not have such a proxy server controlled by app developers and your email credentials are only sent to your email provider directly.

Thank you for the information.
I have changed my passwords.

Hey there.

Two features Iā€™m missing for using delta.chat more often is what I call ā€˜mailPhoneā€™ and another feature is using web auth in delta.chat desktop.