Block mailing lists

Thanks to the mailing list mode I don’t know how to block mailing lists (I wanna deal with those particular mails outside of Delta Chat even though Delta Chat is otherwise set to “all emails” mode).

1 Like

for new, incoming mailing lists, there are “block” and “accept” buttons below the chat:

if you have an already accepted mailinglist, you can delete it - in case, new messages arrive later, you should get the option to “block” again

That doesn’t work, new mailing list mails keep coming to Delta Chat.

IIRC blocking groups and mailing lists just delete them, so it is a wrong naming, it just delete but we decided to use “block” as for 1:1 chats and never introduced the option to actually block groups and mailing lists :thinking: that has also questions about how to display and unblock blocked groups currently what we have is a “blocked contacts” list where you can see and unblock people

It’s not just the UX and naming (even though it’s scary to delete them since I still want my other MUA to pick them up), it’s that it doesn’t work. The next time someone sends an email to the list it goes to my Delta Chat again.

it doesn’t work because it is not intended to work, it is not implemented, it is a missing feature, and the button has a wrong naming of a thing it does not do

it is not possible to block mailing lists or groups, nor to manage blocked mailing lists and groups ex. to unblock them again, otherwise you would have accidentally blocked mailing lists and groups forever

1 Like

I can block any other sender but I can’t block mailing lists? That’s not good. Delta Chat thrives at personal quick replies to friends. I want to use it for that. I don’t want to be woken up in the middle of the night because someone on some mailing list has some question.

I guess for now you only have the option to mute the mailing lists in question and advocate for the implementation of this blocking.

it doesn’t work because it is not intended to work, it is not implemented, it is a missing feature, and the button has a wrong naming of a thing it does not do

it is not possible to block mailing lists or groups, nor to manage blocked mailing lists and groups ex. to unblock them again, otherwise you would have accidentally blocked mailing lists and groups forever

i do not think, this is true in this general form.

blocking and unblocking mailing lists that have a “unique mailinglist address” was added in #1964 (blocking) and #2259 (unblocking)

so, we may just have a bug, a misunderstanding and/or the mailing list in question does not have a “unique mailinglist address”. is the mailing list in question an “open” one you can just post here, so that some dev can have a closer look?

I don’t know how to block mailing lists (I wanna deal with those particular mails outside of Delta Chat even though Delta Chat is otherwise set to “all emails” mode)

That doesn’t work, new mailing list mails keep coming to Delta Chat.

to avoid a misunderstanding: you can only block concrete, single mailing lists. you cannot block “all mailing lists” (the reason is that one unfortunately cannot differ between many mailing list and normal mails - many normal mails arrive as mailing lists for various reasons. set “Show All Emails” to “Chats only” if you want neither)

1 Like

notmuch@notmuchmail.org is the mailing list in question :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

thanks, i tried out notmuch@notmuchmail.org and, indeed it offeres to “Block” as expected and the blocking is even shown in the blocked contacts:

however, indeed, the blocking does not work, for whatever reason (subsequent messages still have notmuch.notmuchmail.org as id, but still), so, that needs further investigations, seems there is a bug. but in general, as said, blocking mailing lists is not just “delete or so”.

1 Like

Also I’m sending stuff to the list from the other mua (which is notmuch), I just want to keep that stuff away from my personal chit-chat in Delta Chat :woman_shrugging:t2:

So for the ten thousandth time, I got a blong notification causing me to drop everything and run to the iPad, but it was just the same mailing list I’ve blocked ten thousand times. :sob:

do we have a core issue for this? otherwise I think you should create one, this looks like an annoying bug :frowning:

you can create an issue in Delta Chat core here: Sign in to GitHub · GitHub