Chat Folders to Collect Chats by Context

As we begin to use Delta for more and more of our communication, the list of chats becomes longer and harder to curate and maintain. I’m also bringing feeds and telegram ‘chats’ into Delta now via Bots which is adding a lot more chat groups very quickly.

Proposal: Some way of grouping chats into folders (or groups) so that various types of chats can be combined into one place. ie. Family chats in one group, Work chats in another, etc. Would also be nice to set notifications by group as well. (I don’t need to see that I have ‘work’ chats on the weekend.) Personally, I would like to be able to Pin folders as well = keeping important folder groups at the top.

Discussion and suggestions by @simon:

yeah time for a feature request.
We already talked about these “Chat Folders” before, but I could not found the feature proposal here, so I guess this was only discussed in IRC or some chat.

Telegram has chat folders there we could get inspiration how to do it, depending on how we’d implement it UX wise it’s not that much work or more work, depends on how we want to do it.

9 Likes

idea: maybe we could add the ability to add tags to a folder in core that you could easily filter the chatlist by

1 Like

Good idea.
How about a star for important chats and colors for the rest of the tags?

:star: :red_circle: :orange_circle: :yellow_circle: :green_circle: :large_blue_circle: :purple_circle: :brown_circle: :black_circle: :white_circle:

Maybe this would also make sense within a chat to make it easier to find messages.
I think this could be helpful, especially in larger groups.

This is a really interesting feature for me. All messengers currently face a similar problem, when you want to use it for everything then it becomes a mess quite quickly.

What I’d love to see is a better Discourse: for each “context” (work, family, activity1) have categories and subcategories. The 3 levels can be done as folders, and you don’t have to have the 3. Moreover any conversation can host any number of webxdc apps, including the editor meaning there can be a summarizing post editable by anyone so that if you haven’t come in a long time all the important info is there

This is already possible by creating a separate email account for each of these three categories. DC’s account switcher is much better than that of other messengers like Telegram.

1 Like

Yes indeed, that is a good way especially with chatmail that gives you painless infinite accounts. I’m already doing it. But it’s not a complete solution

a way to have a “family” folder and a “work” folder is just having an account for family and another for work, then the account list would be your list of “folders” family, work, etc. also that way chats and contacts will automatically fall into the corresponding “folder” without you having to manually keep adding chats to each folder (and the contact list is global so I guess you will also want to filter contacts by folder and would need to manually add contacts to each “folder”)

so just using different accounts is easier and avoids having an extra complicated/bloated UI, in Telegram I understand this is a thing out of their own limitations, because having multiple accounts need multiple phone numbers you end up giving your private phone number to family and also to work, but for Delta Chat that is not a problem, and often you will have your work email and personal email addresses

In my feature proposal here I suggested the ability to label your accounts to make using them in this way easier. For example, you could label one acocunt “work”, another account “family” and so on.

Currently you can only edit the profile name for each account, which is also sent to your contacts. This is not very helpful as a private account label.

For example Alice might understandably want to set the profile name of all her accounts to “Alice”, so the profile name won’t help her to distinguish between her own accounts in this case.

On the other hand, if (using the current system) Alice sets the profile names of her accounts to things like “work” or “family” so that she can identify them more easily, it will be confusing to her contacts who receive an email from someone with a profile name like “work”. It doesn’t make sense to use profile names as account labels and they’re not designed to be used this way.

Therefore there should be the option to set both a profile name for an account (which is sent to contacts) as well as a private account label (which stays on the device and is never sent to contacts).

(By the way, the other ideas discussed in the thread above such as tags, color coding, grouping etc. are also worth considering, but in my opinion I think that private account labels would be the logical place to start for organizing your accounts/chats in an efficient manner.)