Consider supporting webRTC?

It is theoretically feasible to use email exchange for webRTC signaling.

So has Delta Chat considered supporting webRTC to achieve video or voice call needs between users?

2 Likes

yes this was considered, also this exact idea, but it’s unclear if it really works in practice (especially on mobile networks and on mobile phones (android and iOS have sometimes weird restrictions)).

I would be really interested in a demo (webrtc connection without TURN/STUN server) that shows if it is possible.

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:

发自我的小米
在 “simon via Delta.Chatdelta-forum@testrun.org,2023年9月5日 上午6:24写道:

Please use forum search, searching for “WebRTC” finds existing threads like

4 Likes

I would like to know if there is a timetable, as this was a post from four years ago, but it has not yet been implemented this year

1 Like

Hello everyone, is there a schedule for this feature recently?

We are actuallly continously experimenting with P2P integration for messaging but note that typically P2P models like WebRTC require peers to be online at the same time to receive each other’s messages, and typically also leave you alone to handle multi-device setups. For now, let’s just say that in the first half of 2024 there might be interesting surprises upcoming related to P2P messaging integration :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you very much. I believe this surprise will be very meaningful. :heart_eyes: :sunglasses:

1 Like

I wonder if projects like libp2p, gun.js, IPFS-Helia will help with this goal?
:

1 Like

Or openDHT

1 Like

we are actually already doing experiments with integrating iroh networking (which we already use for easy second device setup), mainly for webxdc, but could possible also evolve into voice chat in the future.
But reliable push notification is still the prerequisite for making nice calls, as people expect the ringing notifications.

2 Likes

Hi. The nice people from Jami seems to be working in this issue also (UnifiedPush):

Maybe a common target to benefit from coordinated efforts?

Kind regards!

1 Like

We know about UnifiedPush, but it does not help with iOS. On Android if you can run UnifiedPush distributor in the background you can usually run Delta Chat in the background as well, so I don’t see which problem it solves.

4 Likes