DC as default MUA ?

Hello,

would it be realistic to use DC as the default mail client and if so, what would be correct settings ?

Thx

you have a good timing with your question :slight_smile:

would it be realistic to use DC as the default mail client […]

the currently available official releases lack some things that are important to use Delta Chat as the default and only email client.

however, the next release attempts to add and fix many of them. at a glance, the next release will:

• add basic mailinglist support (many common information come as mailing lists, it is not only about some lists you actively subscribed; to allow fixing things sequentially, for the next release, mailinglist support is read-only)
  • display html-mails (Delta Chat already today converts html to text, but that is limited)
  • show answers to generic support addresses as info@company in context
  • let appear messages sent from Delta Chat to non-Delta-Clients more standard-like (better subject handling on replies, hide avatars)
  • fix and improve handling of attachments and much more - see email-compat project for progress and discussions - the project is still in progress.

so, with the next release, things will improve massively in this area, however, i would still expect some flaws, so it make take some more releases until one can really send that DC can be used as the default and only email client. But we’re on a good way :slight_smile:

and if so, what would be correct settings ?

requirement to receive classic emails at all is to set “Settings / Chats and media / Show classic email” to “All”. You can do that already today, however, mind the issues mentioned above when using the latest official release - testing releases (v1.19) for android and ios are available here.

5 Likes

Heya,

thanks for your explanations. I installed the latest prerelease version, and either I am blind or something else but I really do not see the difference between this version and the other 1.14 installed (yeah, I see the app icon is tagged “dev” but that’s all).
What am I missing here ?

you are using 1.19.1 then? well, if you set “Settings / Chats and media / Show classic email” to "All”, the above things are possible, so eg. mailinglists can be read, html-mails displayed etc. - that was not possible in 1.14 :slight_smile:

1 Like

to the initial question: on mac, if you want to pop up Delta Chat on clicks on mailto: links and as the app to get used for “Share” eg. from Safari, you can set Delta Chat as the default mailer in Mail / Settings / General:

this still has some issues when the app is not yet started, this is a know issue an tracked at MacOS: open deltachat from uri doesn't detect the uri · Issue #2257 · deltachat/deltachat-desktop · GitHub

1 Like

Just in case people are interested: in GNU+Linux, Firefox offers Delta Chat as mail-app as soon as it’s installed (at least through Flatpak/Flathub), both in Debian and Arch, AFAIK.
Best regards!

1 Like