First of all its not that easy…
regarding Thunderbird addon
But as Thunderbird already has the libraries for SSL and email, core building problems related to that won’t be an issue in this.
So the most tricky part is probably to integrate deltachat core with thunderbird (I don’t know the plugin system, so it might need to be integrated directly into thunderbird).
regarding Browser Plugins
In the future we could use webassembly(for speed, instead of ‘slow’ js) and raw TCP Sockets (for email protocols - namely SMTP and IMAP) for deltachat as browser plugin. (Technology isn’t quite there yet for a dc browser plugin)
regarding User Interface in Thunderbird
As for the Userinterface it would be cool if you could specify wheter an folder/account is an deltachat account if that’s the case it opens the deltachat interface instead of the normal one.
Like to cover the two use cases:
- you use DeltaChat together with you main mail account:
- clicking on the DeltaChat folder reveals the dc interface
- the dc folder has a dc icon and the new message counter stands for the new chat messages
- sub-entries in the hierarchy/tree to provide quick access to archived chats, blocked contacts, new Chat and so on
- you have a pure dc account
- the account entry in the hierarchy/tree has a delta chat icon and also the above mentioned sub-entries from the dc folder
In both cases are the settings added to the settings to the normal Thunderbird settings place. Where in case 1 its a part of the email account settings and in case 2 it manages the whole account
( like hide some settings that dc manages/ are irrelevant when it’s a pure dc account)
Also on that setting matter -> the dc plugin should
manage some settings/
set good defaults automatically as on which folder to watch according to the above mentioned use-cases.