Delta.Chat becomes inactive in Samsung phone

I’ve been using using delta.chat for many month now and it seems to be quite reliable on my main phone.

On my other phone (Samsung A3 2016) I faced some problems with the message reception: When delta chat is in the backround it seems to become inactive and there is no message alert. As soon as the app is in the foreground (active) all missed messages appear.

From my understandig Samsung deactivates delta chat for batterydrain reason.

Is it possible to deactivate this battery option for delta chat by default (like Whatsapp)?

If not this behaviour might lead to dissapointment for normal users that are not experts.

Greetings,
Eugen

normally, Delta Chat asks the user to disable “Battery optimizations” at some time.

if, for some reasons, the question does not appear or was clicked away, “Battery optimization” for Delta Chat can be disabled in the system settings. done so, background notifications should be more reliable as the system does not kill the app then (in fact, this is what they call “Battery optimization” - for many apps this does more harm than good :wink:

Hey r10s,

thanks for your quick reply.

It looks to me as if there is a general issue with DC notification: why don’t get I notification bubble on my app-button as soon as I have unread messages?

And, no, the Samsung issue is still not resolved: once in a while when i receive a message it shows up the delta chat logo at the top of the display without(!) playing the notification sound!

Hope these problems are known/solvable…

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Eugen

Which version of DC do you use?

In version 0.500.0 was a problem with missing notification sound:

https://github.com/deltachat/deltachat-android/issues/984

This should be fixed in later versions.

As a workaround I could fix it for me in version 0.500.0 by just disable and enable notifications.

I use the latest version (0.510.1).

Hey guys, i keep fighting witg DC…
Now I found out, that turning my phone to mute mode leads to deactivation of DC notification (no notification on screen)…
For me DC has become completely unreliable. Sorry…

Greetings Eugen

hi eugen

dc has been ‘overoptimized’ in some way since v0.304.0 I think.

was in contact regarding missing bubbles with r10s and identified now missing code.