DeltaChat not filtering out global inbox

Delta Chat version

Expected behavior

When selecting “Only chats” in DeltaChat’s “Chats and media” settings, I’d expect only mails stored in the IMAP server’s DeltaChat folder to be displayed and mails residing in the normal Inbox to be hidden.

Actual behavior

When selecting “Only chats” in DeltaChat’s “Chats and media” settings, I see mails stored in any of the IMAP server’s DeltaChat and Inbox folders.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Described above.

Debug logs

Not really applicable, is it?

First of all have you set up your mailserver to move deltachat mails to the deltachat folder?
If not the next step would break message receiving.
Go to settings -> advanced and turn on “only fetch from DeltaChat Folder”.

First of all have you set up your mailserver to move deltachat mails to the deltachat folder?

No, I haven’t – and DeltaChat has been working perfectly for a long time on a different device with exactly the same settings. In particular, on both devices, I’ve told DeltaChat not to restrict itself to the DeltaChat folder, but to automatically move new messages there. Yet on the new device, DeltaChat displays the whole inbox content, while on the old device, it only shows actual chats.

I guess the reason is that DeltaChat recently switched to Show Classic E-Mails = “All” from “No, chats only”, so all emails have been already downloaded from Inbox after the setup is done and yes, they are not removed locally after changing the setting to “No, chats only”. There is a proposed fix for this: fix: disable `fetch_existing_msgs` setting by default by link2xt · Pull Request #4423 · deltachat/deltachat-core-rust · GitHub , existing messages just won’t be downloaded. Btw, did you set up the new device from scratch or use “Backup” or “Add Second Device” features? Please also check Setting ‘No, chats only’ for ‘Show Classic E-Mails’ showing classic emails - #15 by Qwck , maybe it’s the same issue

1 Like

I guess the reason is that DeltaChat recently switched to Show Classic E-Mails = “All” from “No, chats only”, so all emails have been already downloaded from Inbox after the setup is done
[…]
Please also check Setting ‘No, chats only’ for ‘Show Classic E-Mails’ showing classic emails - #15 by Qwck , maybe it’s the same issue

Thanks for this insightful reply! It seems I’m suffering from exactly the same issue discussed in the thread you referred to. So I guess I’ll just have to wait until DeltaChat’s default settings revert to what (IMHO) is reasonable for a messenger app and it doesn’t pretend any more to be an email client…

Regarding your question on how I set up the new device: I’m honestly not really sure, but I guess I used a backup of the old device automatically created by Android. (Thinking it over, I might try to re-install DeltaChat on the new device and then try one of the setup methods you mentioned.)

Cheers –
tcrass

If you used the Android backup of the old device, then it’s strange that DeltaChat switched to Show Classic E-Mails = “All”, this setting should preserve even if you update DeltaChat later, we switched it to “All” only for new installations. But you can try using “Backup” or “Add Second Device” and if it doesn’t help, let us know. Another option is to wait for the mentioned fix to be released, then you can even install DeltaChat on the new device from scratch, but note that you won’t see any old messages then.