Different types of collaboration / communications on top of Delta Chat

Built on Delta’s “email as a substrate” architecture/approach, it would be interesting to explore different types of collaboration and communication tools that could be possible. For example:

1. A social network application, enabling people to write posts and attach links/media. People without the application could still be tagged (and receive notifications via their standard email address), and potentially even subscribe/follow/connect with others — providing them an email feed of activity happening in the application.

For those who have downloaded the “Delta Network” application, of course, this would all be rendered in the app experience/interface. In technical terms:

• A post is some text, with a file or link attached, which can both be rendered as a “social media post” and sent as a traditional email

• A reply/comment on a post, can both be rendered as a message under the post in the application — as well as a follow-up email, after the first email post. (Threaded messages)

• The visibility of network posts could also be controlled by which emails are invited. So you could have a network for family, a network for school, a network for high school friends, a network for current work colleagues.

I suppose this is quite similar to a “group chat” functionality, but with more of a browsing + exploratory + creative experience — as opposed to the chat-centric, just-in-time message experience.

1. A collaboration tool, which is accessible to people around the world (no need for sign-ups) — similar to GitHub, but more inclusive and accessible than just coding.

People can start projects, add contributors/peers, collaboratively manage/edit files and code, connect on audio / video calls, chat built in, etc.

For people who have downloaded the “Delta Collab” application, this would all be rendered in the app interface. For people who haven’t downloaded the application, they could still see all the same information:

• Receive email notifications when they’ve been added to a project, along with the project description (and perhaps a link to a web page for that project?)

• Send replies in conversations, upload files, etc

This would contain very similar functionalities to the network described above — except you could replace “networks” for different contexts, with the concept of “projects.”

Like, in the same way you could create a “network” for a specific group of friends who are all interested in discussing sustainability — in a Collaboration app, you could create a “project” with that same specific group of friends who are interested in working together on a native tree planting initiative.

The main difference would probably involve management/editing of files and access.

If anybody is interested in exploring these, let me know! I can support on product, design, UX/UI, lean prototyping / scoping / architecture, and some front-end — so it would be best if others who can code front-end/back-end could be interested in collaborating.

There is already a thread about building a social network on top of email:

As I replied there, I don’t think email is suitable for such projects as it only allows you to “push” messages, but does not support “pull”/publish/subscribe model. If you want a federated social network or federated collaboration platform, ActivityPub looks much more suitable. There are multiple compatible implementations such as Mastodon and Pleroma already, and I think it’s better to support them rather than trying to build another incompatible solution. As for federated GitHub, there is a ForgeFed in development, and sourcehut supports email-based development model.

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea and would only take some minimal UI tweaks to get started, to present the inbox as a timeline/feed, then as you say, tweak the way replies & media are viewed.

At the moment, contact icons and info take up most of the screen in the inbox. If the message/“post” was prioritised, so you could see more of the message in your timeline, select that message to see replies.

The initial email would be the static post and the subsequent replies would appear as comments underneath.

It would be great to have an alternative to Facebook. Whilst there are lots of messenger options now there are effectively no social networks to challenge the Facebook monopoly. The federated options are a tough sell to regular folk.

Delta Chat with its fantastic USP of utilising your existing social network and history would make it a much easier transition from Facebook/Instagram.

And as I say, it wouldn’t take much of a UI tweak, doing the same trick delta chat already does, presenting your email in a different format.

Unfortunately I can’t help with coding :disappointed:

Great follow-up guys.

It would be great to have an alternative to Facebook. Whilst there are lots of messenger options now there are effectively no social networks to challenge the Facebook monopoly. The federated options are a tough sell to regular folk.

Delta Chat with its fantastic USP of utilising your existing social network and history would make it a much easier transition from Facebook/Instagram.

As a user, this is my perspective as well @link2xt — the challenge of migration to new applications/networks, as opposed to building applications that are already interoperable, with email as a protocol