[Discussion] How to show error states

nice, however, i fear, this wording is already too long :slight_smile: (when shown in place of “Delta Chat” what the current approach is like)

2 Likes

BTW some screenshots

Some cleaning up to be done.

The HTML (in my screenshots, all black-on-white text) is not translated because I assume that people who are interested in tech enough to read through this usually speak English. And we plan to further improve the HTML, anyway, so even if we do want to translate it, probably not yet. (fwiw they would be 7 strings to translate). What do you think?

2 Likes

Right, I should have read all posts in the thread! :grinning:

I would localize all strings, because I know any unlocalized string would “turn off” people who are no techies, and I believe Delta Chat is meant to be for people of every kind.

sure, once that is done, things will be localized, where possible and reasonable (for error messages, this is often not doable as they come eg. from the server – and, also, it is not that wise to translate them as you cannot search them in some search engine) (or you will miss the one information that would have helped you).

however, up to then, it is reasonable to stay in english, as things will probably shifted around and reworded massively :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like very much, to know when there is a problem, but having a text other than DeltaChat in the title for a long time does not please me very much, I suggest only two states, “Not Connected” for when there is an error and “DeltaChat” for all other cases.

That’s almost the plan, just that there is a third state “Connecting…” for the short timespan inbetween

3 Likes

As feed-forward might be from interests for he good masters: “Big” the use of space. Small sign might be enough and maybe better to use the header as orientation, giving info of account in use and kind of list/page one currently is, since both always hard to figure out.

Inspiration: left a changing sign, spinning wheel, one-way, green circle and next “Account Name”| Chatlist (Contactlist…) of with could be also made as sign.

People at large don’t like reading and lot of maintaining work is saved if using signs of meaning.

Sadhu for providing state info, so that one might not feel lost in uninformed.

Just a quick plump visualication:
tmp_11364-delta header771813438

Or using own logo in variants for connected, search, off…

tmp_11364-search-1798738427

tmp_11364-delta header-search26292258

By yping logo, one gets more info.
Arrows next account, maybe just one, to switch quick. If another account has new messeges, arrow gets colored and menu list of accounts would show colored circle if new messeges, maybe he green ith numbers of messages. But just naive ideas witg sure lot of work behind.

Yes, well, as I understand it, the intention is to put “Not connected” even when the mobile is in airplane mode, I don’t think this is an error, it is simply that there is no network. I think they should put “Not connected” only when, having a network, delta cannot connect.

“Not connected” is a status, not necessary an error.
In airplane mode “Not connected” IMHO should be shown. Because it is the correct state in that situation. It’s not an error.

Some thoughts:

match “reason for not connected”{

• “Device signals online” and “first error in connection to mail server” => “Connection error”
  • “Device signals online” and “error situation before” => “Not connected” (assumption, wrong device info)
  • “Device signals OFFLINE” => “Not connected”
    }

This is a little more than simply showing an error text but maybe useful?

2 Likes

To begin with, it would be enough to make the color of the icon in the status bar green if everything is normal and, for example, gray if something went wrong.

Not everyone uses the reliable background connection which, indeed, seems to me to be disabled by default and I think many of those who enable it then disable the display of the permanent notification (at least I do), so I think it’s not really a solution to the problem.