Disguise ciphertext to avoid email provider censor abnormal behavior

The U.S. will ban China’s IM app WeChat in the near future. Due to the existence of the Great Firewall (GFW) of China, millions of Chinese in the United States are facing the dilemma of losing contact with their Chinese families.
Reuters : WeChat U.S. ban cuts off users link to families in China
But there are few alternatives for them, because of the following 2 reasons:

1. All well-known IM app outside of China, such as Telgram, Signal, WhatsApp, are blocked by the GFW, so family members cannot access servers.

2. Other IM app made by China will also be blocked by the US at any time.

Obviously, Delta.chat is the best choice for TGOP, which both parties can use their respective countries’ mailboxes to communicate instantly, if China and US have not cut off email transmission.

However, the only problem is that frequent encrypted content may get Chinese email providers’( qq.com, 163.com) attention and then encrypted email will be blocked. What I want is to disguise ciphertext as plaintext-like in the email content. In this way, I believe that Deltachat will have a wide market prospect in this era .

2 Likes

in the mean while maybe you can use delta chat with encryption disabled and use app Oversec (get it on F-Droid) to encrypt the messages, Oversec supports generating fake text like “I hate guava” and the actual encrypted text is “I love guava”

1 Like

Welcome to Delta Chat, @Fishl!

What’s nice about the current approach is that it is compatible with all Autocrypt clients. So, we might think about trying to get this into Autocrypt in case we implement this. Also, how do we communicate that people in China should set a setting called “disguise ciphertext as plaintext-like”?

Also, if we implement this we need to think about somehow disguising the Chat-Version, the Autocrypt header and the Message-ID header somehow because Chinese email providers could filter out emails based on these.

For now, I like @adbenitez’ idea of using Oversec.

2 Likes