Encrypted backup of chats

Are you planning to encrypt backups? They are now stored in the archives.tar is completely open, you can go in and view all the contents. In the same Threema, I remember saving a backup copy.zip with AES-256 adhesion. Convenient and practical. I don’t know now, I’ve completely switched to DeltaChat and am slowly pulling up the rest.

Core already has the ability to encrypt the database. dc_imex function (see Delta Chat Core C Interface: dc_context_t Class Reference) accepts passphrase as a second parameter. Blobs, however, are not encrypted. Encrypting at least the database is a matter of changing the UI to generate passphrase and pass it as dc_imex parameter. Similar for the Desktop and JSON-RPC API: RawClient | @deltachat/jsonrpc-client

Just looked at how Signal does it today: it has a continuous-backup and generates a 36-digit passphrase just like Autocrypt Level 1: Enabling encryption, avoiding annoyances — Autocrypt 1.1.0 documentation for transferring keys which DC already supports on all platforms. So i think it’s best to re-use and adapt these UI passphrase-generation + typing dialogues and get a core API to encrypt/decrypt the whole backup file.

That means then that common people are total dependent on DC, are even unable to leave it, right.

If one reflects a little this all isn’t different to huge finance systems, just that itjs not about money, but about intellectual gains. And like in the past, the ironic side, it had been the opposing who made things even worse at least. Just another industrial revolution… with it’s fix outcome: excessive lose.

My person has long left interest in what has called moral and laws in this time of IT, since pointless and anyway not respected by anyone. Yet if only looking up a little in regard of security and crime and terror prevention, it seems to be that the whole ship has already become certain illegally and dangerous for common communal interest. It seems that it current just uses the “law-hole” that email might not be seen as social media or information media yet, was till here something still recognized as “privat”, “innocent”. It’s to expect that email, serious communication of the past, will soon put under “public meetings” as well, which by nature of the uncontrolled common crowd requires control and limitation.

But yours desire to serve “pirates” humble.

Again, may yours delete all contributions made here and toward this undertaking, since not a little interest to get anyhow related to anarchism, revolutions, unlawful and immoral undertakings, even if naively well meant. It’s simply all based wrong view and has lost any point of what it was public transported in the past: “email comfortable to use like messenger (dot).”

Generating an encrypted backup means you get a standard tar-file which can be decrypted with some standard algorithm. The tar-file contains a sqlite-database and a lot of attachments (pictures, media, avatars etc.). There is nothing that causes a dependency on Delta Chat, apart from the backup file exposing database tables specific to Delta Chat … but then again, any novice database programmer can make use of it.

The other jumps of yours (finance systems, morals, crime, terror prevention …) appear rather off-topic but maybe that’s because you see it all connected to “encryption” which you repeatedly took offense with. Let me just say this: the internet is a weird place. It is unlike anything we experience when without any electronic devices. Encryption plays a key role to not give arbitrary mediators dictatorial powers over our lives. It is not the village’s eldest or the head of your monastry that gets power, but various governments, be it the US government, the russian government or Mr. Brin, Mr. Zuckerberg, Mr. Musk, Mr. Putin, Mrs. Van-der-Leyen, Mr. Ping, Mr. Ayatolah etc. …

… whereas e2e-encryption is a fundamental technique that allows to choose which village or monastry we want to temporarily belong to and engage with without the interference of all these weird billionaire and government personas. This may sound anarchist to you and i probably won’t fully disagree. But i’ve been in the IT game for 3+ decades now, saw a lot of what is called past and ongoing #enshittification , and indeed think end-to-end encryption is a key technique to evolve and defend against dictatorial currents of all sorts.

As to your deletion-request i asked you in 1:1 for confirmation if you want to get all posts deleted which will garble the history of this support forum. We’ll do it if that’s what you want.

In any case, please take good care of yourself.

1 Like

Good Brahman Holger,

What a foolish idea to think that a monk, or anybody with virtue, would have rightly reason to fear authorities, not to speak of seeking ways to go against them. They would just fear to resist in not suitable areas or association with unvirtous.

As if someone who has something to lose would care, unless it’s perfet to use to organize what ever crime.

Better and more reasonable, and more rightly distinguish is to fear those with less sign, mean-less, yet full of envy and defilement.

And it’s certain obvious that here gamers, addicted, common unfortunate, are served like thieves by Robin Hood.

Yours is obviously total brainwashed in regard of what’s going on in the world, and obviously total blind in regard of what’s worthy to support and what’s a waste.

Obviously the team does not care about laws and regulations but goes after a partisan undertaking and actually creates tools which are nothing but weapons and lead to increase of unrest and harm of each other.

My person wouldn’t be able to change from DC to any other simple email client, or even just store “documents”, neither now, as a huge is already forced to be encrypted, not to speak of if even a backup get’s occupied by encryption.

Being in association with gamers (by nature of their hobbies the most time occupied by bad mental states), potential terrorists and assassin, and rebels, and anarchist, and those required to make there living in hidden manners would certain endanger not only ones reputation but also be reason to become target of treats.

Fear has causes, and rightly fearing is rooted by lack of virtue and based on wrong view. Skilful fear is a fear of doing wrong, associate bad, which is rooted in right view and virtue.

Not wishing that yours might have any lose or being disturbed much, it’s well enough to simply remark that not related to this kind of undertakings here at all, not being such as a member.

That’s why my person approaches, at least for those who had been encouraged to make use of DC in the past.

Again, moral shame and virtue, mindful on one’s body and mind, goodwill, one protects oneself, cares about onesf and all others.

While there is less reason to fear deep forests, mine-fields, soldiers, mighty powerful people/beings, wild animals, painful disease, there is most reason to be in bad association, or at least object to be suspected such.

And to urge, especially yours and your team, to come to mind and sacrifices there, associate there, where it’s worthy and of good fruits, is a matter of gratitude, well knowing sacrifices done for good.

Weapon supply is always wrong, as well as intentional helping to hide misdeeds, as well as giving signs or speech for such and even mental approve, agree or rejoice.
Knowingly or not (which wouldn’t change the effect for one), yours supply to increase ways for unrest and conflicts, wars, crime and all possible bad deeds, send fools off into battles outwardly and suggest freedom in gain of desired where there couldn’t be.

Most participants seemingly come from areas where such as encryption is (most understandable) even total forbidden. And yours, unless not activily wishing to increase unrests, provide with means that allows common people to get into unease by feeling “I can”, where they can’t.

How much lesser destruction and corps would there be around if not deluded pseudo-liberal wouldn’t provide means for killing fields. “We send them into war because we though that’s helpful and right…” Certain they, the “Robin Hoods”, have much reason to live in fear and increase the spiral unless “luckily” come to mind and understand that beings, they themselves, are heir of their actions, heir of their relations tendencies.

Please answer a bit more directly: do you want your posts to be deleted or remaining here?
I’d prefer not having to derive an answer from what you wrote. thanks.

A copy from an encrypted send email via delta-chat talk on it:

Mag der gute Holder tun, was immer er meint, daß es gut für sein langfristiges Wohl ist. Meinereiner sieht keinerlei Weg Ihm oder seines"gleichen" irgendwie hilfreich zu sein, abseits mit viel Wohlwollen “alleine” best möglich tun zu lassen. Es steht ihm frei, bleibt in seinem Handelsbereich, zu tun was immer er tun gedenkt, mit dem was da in seiner Domain hinterlassen wurde. Keineswegs mag meinereiner ihm da irgend welche Nachteile aufbürden.

Mag er bald sehen vermögen, daß es von unvergleichlich mehr Nutzen ist nach oben zu “opfern” anstelle nach unten.