Ephemeral messages +

I have been using this option intensively since it came out, and I can say that it is really useful, more than I initially thought.

That is why I dare to make some suggestions that I think could be very useful.

1. The 30s and 1min options are very similar, you can hardly feel the difference, so I suggest modifying 1min for a 5min one.

2. I also suggest modifying the timer from 4 weeks to 5 weeks, this is because on several occasions I have needed to keep messages up to 30 days and 4 weeks do not complete the month.

3. Add an option in this same window of «local deletion», that is, if this is activated, the messages are only deleted on my device, very useful for when you communicate with a MUA, also this is something that has beenasked multiple times

2 Likes

The 30s and 1min options are very similar, you can hardly feel the difference, so I suggest modifying 1min for a 5min one.

The options are 1m/5m/30m/1h/1 day/1 week/4 weeks in the current nightly: Change list of ephemeral message options by link2xt · Pull Request #1780 · deltachat/deltachat-android · GitHub

I also suggest modifying the timer from 4 weeks to 5 weeks, this is because on several occasions I have needed to keep messages up to 30 days and 4 weeks do not complete the month.

4 weeks is indeed chosen to roughly represent the duration of one month. Changing it from 28 to 35 days makes sense, especially since we are tweaking these options anyway for the next release. I have opened a PR: Replace 4 weeks option with 5 weeks option by link2xt · Pull Request #1786 · deltachat/deltachat-android · GitHub

Add an option in this same window of «local deletion», that is, if this is activated, the messages are only deleted on my device, very useful for when you communicate with a MUA, also this is something that has beenasked multiple times

Do you really need this option per chat? There is a global device option, isn’t it sufficient for your use case? I’m afraid it will clutter the UI as it is also possible that non-local timer with a different value is enabled in the same chat.