Experimental settings turned off when updating

Upgrading from 0.303.0 to 0.304.0 on my Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime 2018 (Oreo 8.1), I found out that both my experimental settings (previously turned on) were turned off. Maybe this is a default behavior, since they are experimental and such, but I think it shouldn’t be this way.
I noticed this the hard way, sending a big and expensive image file in a group.

you are right, and, in fact, all settings are intended to being preserved during updates; this includes experimental settings.

so i have code-wise no idea why this was not the case for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jumping from 0.510.1 to 0.930.2 and viceversa, changes on “multimedia quality” aren’t saved. This is not “experimental” anymore, so maybe you should ensure it is recorded in the backup.
Theme info (light or dark, as far as I know) is lost as well.

I believe this would be a usecase of storing ‘UI’ settings in the database.
@r10s an @Jikstra worked on that, but I forgot the state of it.

I believe this would be a usecase of storing ‘UI’ settings in the database.

@Massick did you upgrade via an import/export? only in this case storing ‘UI’ settings in the database would help.

if you did a “normal” update over the installed up - well, as said, normally, the settings should be preserved, no matter where they are stored. no idea why this does not work in this case.

From older to latest I simply install (manually) the new apk, I had to import/export the other way. However, this settings weren’t saved in any case.

As of v0.970.0 settings were kept when updating, I need to check if they are kept when a backup is imported too.