Group chat split into a new group chat prepended with "Re:"

Delta Chat version Delta Chat Desktop 1.44.1 (git: v1.33.0-669-gc878fc78)

Expected behavior

My group chat should always remain within one topic or else it should be possible to reconcile diverged chats into one topic stream.

Actual behavior

At some point my group chat split into two, as below:
Screenshot 2024-05-16 184515

Debug logs

Logs
{
    "arch": "64",
    "authserv_id_candidates": "disroot.org",
    "bcc_self": "1",
    "blobdir": "C:\\Users\\taoha\\AppData\\Local\\DeltaChat\\accounts\\1d29a48f-41ea-491c-b0da-f9112b7a3f70\\dc.db-blobs",
    "bot": "0",
    "configured_inbox_folder": "INBOX",
    "configured_mvbox_folder": "DeltaChat",
    "configured_sentbox_folder": "Sent",
    "configured_trash_folder": "Trash",
    "database_dir": "C:\\Users\\taoha\\AppData\\Local\\DeltaChat\\accounts\\1d29a48f-41ea-491c-b0da-f9112b7a3f70\\dc.db",
    "database_encrypted": "false",
    "database_version": "110",
    "debug_logging": "0",
    "delete_device_after": "0",
    "delete_server_after": "0",
    "delete_to_trash": "<unset>",
    "deltachat_core_version": "v1.136.1",
    "disable_idle": "false",
    "displayname": "Tao Hansen",
    "download_limit": "0",
    "e2ee_enabled": "1",
    "entered_account_settings": "taohansen@disroot.org imap:unset:***:unset:0:Automatic:cert_automatic:AUTH_NORMAL smtp:unset:0:unset:0:Automatic:cert_automatic:AUTH_NORMAL",
    "fetch_existing_msgs": "0",
    "fetched_existing_msgs": "true",
    "fingerprint": "F938E0B2F4EDD0417360C71DB9FBA655C742F58C",
    "folders_configured": "4",
    "gossip_period": "172800",
    "imap_server_id": "{\"name\": \"Dovecot\"}",
    "is_configured": "1",
    "journal_mode": "wal",
    "key_gen_type": "0",
    "last_cant_decrypt_outgoing_msgs": "0",
    "last_housekeeping": "1715797582",
    "last_msg_id": "71",
    "level": "awesome",
    "mdns_enabled": "1",
    "media_quality": "0",
    "messages_in_contact_requests": "0",
    "mvbox_move": "1",
    "num_cpus": "8",
    "number_of_chat_messages": "36",
    "number_of_chats": "5",
    "number_of_contacts": "7",
    "only_fetch_mvbox": "0",
    "private_key_count": "1",
    "public_key_count": "1",
    "quota_exceeding": "0",
    "scan_all_folders_debounce_secs": "60",
    "secondary_addrs": "",
    "selfavatar": "C:\\Users\\taoha\\AppData\\Local\\DeltaChat\\accounts\\1d29a48f-41ea-491c-b0da-f9112b7a3f70\\dc.db-blobs\\photo_2023-05-14_18-47-17.jpg",
    "sentbox_watch": "0",
    "show_emails": "2",
    "sign_unencrypted": "0",
    "socks5_enabled": "0",
    "sqlite_version": "3.39.4",
    "sync_msgs": "1",
    "uptime": "51h 14m 9s",
    "used_account_settings": "taohansen@disroot.org imap:taohansen@disroot.org:***:disroot.org:993:Ssl:cert_strict:AUTH_NORMAL smtp:taohansen@disroot.org:***:disroot.org:587:Starttls:cert_strict:AUTH_NORMAL",
    "verified_one_on_one_chats": "true",
    "webrtc_instance": "<unset>"
}

from where did you install deltachat? what versions do the other members of the group use.

the first message in the “Re:” chat is probably the culprit, you should analyse what’s wrong with it / what version of DC sent it

I think I just installed the desktop executable from the main site. No one else is using Delta Chat but me. It looks like the culprit email came from a Gmail user but there had been other Gmail replies before them that didn’t split the chat.

Has this group been created by someone using delta chat or by someone using another mail client (thunderbird for example)?

It was created by me using Delta Chat :slight_smile:

Do both groups have the same member count? could it be that “reply” instead of “reply to all” was used?

They both have the same member count, yes. The only difference is the addition of the "Re: ".

If you recently restored a backup it could be Two groups accidentally created while fetching pending messages after backup restore · Issue #5385 · deltachat/deltachat-core-rust · GitHub

I think to properly debug we would need to look at the headers of the messages around the split.

Even w/o a backup restoration it’s possible if messages are received out-of-order. Though less probable. But yes, @blandegret, if you can provide the unencrypted message headers for several messages from the first chat (w/o “Re:”) and for the first message from the second chat, and also the “Received” time of the messages (which you can see in the context menu → “Message Details”), then it will be easier to understand what happened

1 Like