Headers (salutation) and footers (farewell)

I occasionally use DeltaChat to communicate with someone who doesn’t have it but has email. It is actually one of its declared functions. The communication looks like with other chat apps from my point of view. So I see the conversation in similar bubbles like those other chat apps. But the partner on the other side only sees the lot of individual e-mails.

And since it’s still one conversation for me, I don’t write greetings and goodbyes every time. And for someone who only sees e-mails, it looks like rudeness. Therefore, I suggest that in the settings of each participant there could be a header as salutation and a footer as farewell. These would be automatically inserted into e-mails so that the communication does not appear impolite to the other partner, but they would not be visible in the conversation screen. And since the way of addressing and saying goodbye specifically applies to different participants differently each time, it would be necessary to set them not in general, but for each partner separately.

Common solution to this is to set the signature explaining why you don’t have the traditional greeting, something like “Sent from Delta Chat messenger. Please excuse the brevity.”

2 Likes

I’m afraid that a cold, callous formal notice, which might work just as badly in more formal communication with nonknown people as it does in a conversation with a friend, solves the problem only partially and somewhat unsatisfactorily. The warning is in the email under line and printed by gray, i.e. in a weaker font, and if I want to explain why I am impolite in a way that it is understandable even for someone who does not know what DeltaChat is and how it is related to that impoliteness, the text will be so long , that surely no one will read it. Let alone if I extend it with a recommendation to use DeltaChat.