It’s finally time again for a new Desktop Release, help us find the most annoying bugs so we can make sure that this update is ready to be released on the website and in the stores.
This release in the Email compatibility release series aims to make delta chat more usable as email client for normal non-chat emails.
What to test?
- Mailing lists
- open HTML emails in browser
- Status text/signature in the contact profile dialog
- Contact requests
- open settings in a new account (possible imported from a backup from delta chat iOS or android) — there was sometimes a bug there that resulted in a crash screen.
- Normal usage
We added two incomplete features that need a bit more explanation:
Mailto link handling
This allows you to open
mailto: links in delta chat desktop.
You need to setup DC as standard email app in your operating system’s settings, on macOS inside the mailapp or alternatively as
mailto: protocol handler in your browsers settings (search “mailto” in Firefox’s settings for example).
- on Windows delta chat does not appear in the list of email clients that you can select as standard ones. (use Firefox to test on this platform instead)
- on macOS delta chat opens the first time if it was closed, but only handles the link if it was clicked while delta chat was already open. MacOS: open deltachat from uri doesn't detect the uri · Issue #2257 · deltachat/deltachat-desktop · GitHub
Start delta chat minimized to tray
We added a command line argument that allows you to start delta chat minimized to tray, this can be useful when setting delta chat to startup on system start.
On windows you can copy the DC shortcut into the autostart/startup folder inside the start menu, then open the properties of it and add
-- --minimized at the end to the target field.
I don’t know how to set up startup apps on macOS or Linux (your Distro might come with an application that lets you set them) yet, but the general process is to add
-- --minimized to the executable-path/command. Feel free to comment bellow to share how you got it to work.
Note: the additional
--minimizedis important otherwise DC won’t recognize the argument.
Where to report Bugs?
You can find already known bugs on: Issues · deltachat/deltachat-desktop · GitHub
Please report the found bugs either here in this forum topic or even better as issue on GitHub: Issues · deltachat/deltachat-desktop · GitHub