Integrating Jami into δChat

Jami is a great software for voice/video chat, real time text chat and file sharing. it is decentralized, fast and secure.
I know that in some examples it is not decentralized but it’s still one of the best options.
δChat could use Jami to solve many limitations that it have. we can have simple buttons in δChat like these:
video chat with Jami
share the files with Jami
Jami has a limitation. both users should be online to use it so it needs something like δChat…when both δChat users are online then Jami feature buttons should be available(also some other features like “user is typing” ).

4 Likes

Jami is great but delta chat already has the integration with jitsi for A/V calls that, in my opinion, for this specific case is a better solution since it has the advantage to work also in the browser without the need to create an account or install other applications.

4 Likes

that is a good point
I also use Jitsi and it’s great but it’s not decentralized…so it’s a short term solution.
Jami doesn’t need registration and if it’s integrated into δChat there will be no need to install Jami separately, in this way δChat will have video chat capabilities in itself.
there are also other things (for example sharing big files, user is typing indicator, showing that the user is online or not, real-time text-chat,etc…)

2 Likes

Jitsi, however, allows you to choose different servers or do self hosting, integrating jami in delta chat seems to me something really very complicated (then maybe I’m wrong) but especially at this point why not use directly jami instead of delta chat?

2 Likes

unfortunately self hosting is not an option for most people and choosing from different servers is still using centralized servers
yes I think it could be complicated.
Jami is not able to send messages to offline users. it needs something like δchat.

2 Likes

This is because jami is a p2p app, delta chat (apart from the possible integration with yggmail) is not. Delta chat already uses servers, not its own, but those of email providers. Moreover I think that for A/V calls jami anyway requires the use of some kind of server (stun/turn) who should manage it?
In the end the possibility to choose a jitsi server is very similar to the possibility to choose the email provider. Delta chat works according to IMAP/SMTP standards adding other features i think would distort the project.

1 Like

And with Delta Chat you are not forced to use Jitsi but you can use any webRTC service for videochat…