Keep current e-mail account when updating Delta Chat

Seems that Delta Chat switchs to the first e-mail account in the account list after a software update. Would be better to keep the current e-mail account after the software update. Otherwise it could be irritating if you are in a different account when opening Delta Chat. Especially because you do not see directly which account is the one which is open. Could be an additional feature to indicate this. For example by using the Delta Chat icon and the account name instead of “Delta Chat” at top of the window.

1 Like

Can you please say which operating system this issue is about?

I have seen this with Android after the newest version was installed.

3 Likes

thanks for coming back, i added the tag “android” to the issue. i cannot really reproduce this, though.

from 1.20 to 1.22 the internal account handling was moved from android-code to rust-code, might be there was a corner case we did not catch - but in general, selection should have been kept as well. for further updates, the selection state is kept in the core.

if the issue reappears on further updates, of course, we should have closer look.

Thank you very much having checked this. Please consider also to make the current account visible on the screen e.g. like it is done with Signal messenger: DeltaChat icon + account name on top of the window.
Update: In Signal it is the “account icon + Signal”, which is also good.
Update 2: On Windows OS you could also add the account name on the very top of the window (where we see currently the “Delta Chat icon + DeltaChat”).

1 Like

Please consider also to make the current account visible on the screen

yip, there are many ideas and plans in this direction :slight_smile: rough idea is to have an icon in the upper-left corner showing the account-avatar (own image). a tap on that shows a popup that allows account-switching directly - and maybe even shows a summary of last/unread messages.

however, as always, as there are only very limited development resources, these ideas are in competition with other feature-requests.

like it is done with Signal messenger

“signal” does not have multi-account at all - or did i missed something?
however, they show an icon at the place in question, yes,

3 Likes

Yes Signal has a single account, only, but an account avatar. Delta Chat has multiple accounts but no account avatar on the chat screen. Nevertheless better to have multiple accounts and no avatar :slight_smile:. I could maybe help programming but would need some help to get an overview of the Delta Chat program structure and libraries used. At least I have a lot of programming experience from the past which needs to be refreshed.

2 Likes

I could maybe help programming but would need some help to get an overview of the Delta Chat program structure and libraries used.

that would be very welcome! :slight_smile:

we’re often hanging out on irc #deltachat on Libera.Chat, however, meanwhile much of the work is also done in Delta Chat Groups (of course :slight_smile:

if you like, i can give you an overview, maybe we can do an a/v via jitsi or so (i speak english and german - other devs have other languages, so we could probably find something fitting) - but we can also continue the discussion just here :slight_smile: