Location sharing on iOS - how to view the map?

Delta Chat version

v1.36.4

Expected behavior

There is a message with a map, a clickable button, or else, to display the shared locations.
The location sharing does not stop when switching between applications.

Actual behavior

A green map icon in the top right that just directs me to the profile page, and a message that says location streaming is enabled.
Tapping on it does nothing. Going into the context menu and checking Info doesn’t display location info.
Additionally, if I switch between apps before the time is due, I see a message saying that the location streaming has been stopped.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Open a chat.
  2. Click on the attachment button.
  3. Choose location.
  4. Select duration.
  5. See the message saying “Location streaming enabled”
  6. Notice that there’s an OS indicator in the Control Center showing that the location is being accessed by Delta Chat.
  7. But see no way to display the map in the app…

Screen snapshots

Debug logs

Logs
I can't see anything to do with location in there.

the map view is not implemented yet on iOS.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answer! I assume it’s the same for Android since my friend mentioned having similar trouble?

the map is implemented in android, iOS can just share the location, android can share and view and desktop can only view.

1 Like

Hello :wave:,
you write above that you are using version 1.36.4 of DC-iOS.
Did you install the app from the official app store?
Only version 1.36.1 is displayed there.

Hi!
That’s correct. I have at first checked the App Store released version (1.36.1 as you mentioned) at first, but thinking that there may have been further developments on less tested/nightly releases, I have tried the TestFlight version, which hasn’t been promoted to the store release yet.
If you’d like to try it out yourself, you can use one of the links on the official Delta Chat page.

Details of each build, if I recall correctly, are visible when you try to join on your phone, and afterwards, in the TestFlight application itself by viewing the Previous Builds panel of the application.

1 Like

Location streaming with map is a pretty cool feature. It would be nice to have an ability to view the map on the iOS.

Looks like this feature was frozen since it was introduced :frowning:

1 Like

There is a work-in-progress PR to open locations in external apps, like Organic Maps:

2 Likes