No Avatar pictures

I use DC v0.101.1 on android 8.1
In my chatlist i cant see pictures from my DC contacts only the icon with the first letter of his / here name.
Is it a buck or a option?

1 Like

If you give DC acces to your address book the pictures from phone book contacts will shown in your chat list.

Okay, but i think OC users can use individual pictures in the profile. I think this picture transfare to chat partners. Is it wrong?

1 Like

Group pictures transfare to all useres but in one to one chat it doesn’t work

1 Like

Yes, it seems like this feature is not working. Also I would like to have an option to avoid the use the image and names from my contacts book and let the users share they custom profile image and names. And show their shared status/signature-text, on their profile, all this give Delta Chat a profile with a more social feeling that people seems to like.

4 Likes

BTW, contacts in DeltaChat (v0.100+) must match exactly names in phone’s address book, otherwise one won’t see images assigned to contacts in phone’s address book.

I think it would be much more convenient to match contacts between DC and phone by email(s) address(es) first and only after that by contact name. (I believe it worked in DC v0.20 )

3 Likes

I think so, too.

no, it did never worked, neither in 0.20 nor in older version. user-avatars are just not yet implemented in the core.

however, nevertheless, the status is getting better as 0.100 now knows how to handle them ui-wise :slight_smile:

Just reporting if it may help to understand better what I meant:

When I installed DC 0.20 I added contacts using their emails with custom contact names and DC pulled assigned in the phone’s address book “faces” images to DC where the same email was present in phone book, but after upgrade to 0.100, images disappeared and replaced with color circles except one contact. When I tried to investigate it, I found out that contact name in DC 0.100 must match exactly names assigned in phone’s address book, after editing contacts names in DC 0.100, DC pulled images from phone book back.

3 Likes

this smells to bug report, I recommend to report it in github
AlexJ +1

in the meanwhile avatar pictures are already implemented, please mark this as solved

1 Like

I still have this problem on my iPhone (iOS 14.6) running DC v1.20.4. Even though I have allowed DC to access my contacts, the avatars do not show up. Is there perhaps a workaround?

1 Like

Are you talking about avatars in your address book or avatars set within DC? As far as I know avatars from the address book are never used by DC. Would be nice to use them as a fallback, but it’s not implemented, only names and addresses are imported from the address book.

I am talking about the avatars (or faces) from the adressbook. If I understand the previous posts correctly, this bug has allegedly already been fixed 1 year ago.

I think posts above talk about personal avatars being implemented, but avatars have to be set within Delta Chat, they are not pulled from the Android address book.

I do not use Android, I was talking about iOS (the latest version 14.6). In 1 post it was mentioned „… pulled faces from Android adressbook…“.
I even do not see the possibility to attach an avatar (or face) manually to a contact. In the iOS version this is possible only for groups. I am now very surprised that the iOS is obviously lagging far behind the Android app.

iOS/Desktop do not use avatars from the address book. the Android implementation comes from a time where we did not spread user-set avatars, to have at least something.

meanwhile, a user can set an avatar and that one is spread to other users - similar as the name and the status/signature - and similar as most other messengers do.

mixing these avatars with the local-address-book-ones raises some issues, eg. multi-device-sync, precedence etc. however, maybe doing the same as on android, using the local-address-book-ones if no remote avatar is set, is okayish, even if that is not synced. but i would not see that with any priority.

to the lagging of iOS behind Android: this is true, iOS is 3 years or so younger - but keeps catching up :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification.

It would be great to be able to set avatars for other people, locally, instead of just the one letter thing which is so confusing.

2 Likes

And even different notification sounds. I don’t need to sync these over.