No contact request is poping up

The actual Email view (old contact requests) is also a mess because it is not synced with the server… One has to sort and delete the INBOX separately in each deltachat client and on the server (or syncing MUA). https://github.com/deltachat/deltachat-core/issues/195

sorry don’t have the time right now for a good reply I will go offline, but I don’t like because it sounds really fuzzy, I don’t think the length of the message is a good way to know if it is a chat or an email, but hey I am not a professional in chats I may be wrong, in my case I want contact request for every single new contact that message me.
See you tomorrow, have a nice day :slight_smile:

That’s good, if the default filtering out of long emails does not work for you, no problem, it should still be possible to enable prompting for all emails (disable the size limit).

It’s just that for those users that chat with an email account that is also used for a lot of regular email conversation that is handled separately (in classic MUAs), not having a (small enough) size limit causes a bothering deltachat experience. (Every email has also to be dismissed in deltachat manually.)

And without a small size allowace, new users are not reachable by short email text messages sent by their known contacts. (i.e. topic “No contact request is poping up.”) And IMHO it is no good idea to require chat users to manually check their “Email” for short chat messages from known contacts.

So it is preferable to have an email size limit for new chat creation as default, to mitigate both problems for new users, while allowing subsequent customization according to the specific situation.

sorry, actually I think we don’t need classic email show as contact request at all if Make Contact Requests more visible is done

Well, with the options from the wiki that allow for full customization (only 4 preferences + 3 feature), if you prefer to customize the preset that is best four you (Listen for “Any contact”) and look at all emails, you may disable the the “Start chat?” prompts completely and only manually look through the emails, by disallowing prompts for short emails (max. size zero) and enabling the visible “new email counter”, i.e. option 1) from the wiki.

It’s a question of having a choice and using the best default (the one that is the least limiting and has the least bothering possible problems).

Note, that for example those that only want to listen to chat messages from accepted chat partners, and even some with short email prompting enabled, may not want the new email counter to distract them, and thus customize the default and disable it. I still think the visible, silent new email counter should be enabled by default, for new users to get to know the email functions, and because disabling it would be limited the features too much for those that want to see long emails (for which prompts should be filtered out by default, to avoid the noise for accounts with a lot of email traffic).

Different users need different things. There is no single default that fits all users, but…

One good "Listen for “Known Contacts” default preset mode has been identified, and two easy to understand alternative modes. (“Listen for Nobody”, and “Listen for Anybody”)

Together with exposing their 4 advanced options these easy modes allow for full customization of the message reception.

I meant that with that feature, there are not much need to get a classic MUA contact request popping in the chat list if you see you have a new email.

Hm, we should probably better distinguish between “listing as email messages”, silent “start chat?” prompting, and “starting (tentative) chat” right away.

If one has a lot of classic email traffic that gets handled in a classic MUA, the new email counter is rather not that interesting in deltachat. Whether there are 95 or 128 new messages may not matter. But the "start chat? poping up could detect if there is a possible start-chat message amoung the new emails.

For backwards compatibility, it would even be good to allow to directly start a chat for emails detected as short start-chat email messages.