Openstreetmap QA + Deltachat Bots

Hi, i have some questions about Deltachat+Bots ( this particular case RSS bots ) and about infra to run bots and stats in general… Im a osm[1] mapper and want to find a better workflow to monitor changesets.
Actually i use Telegram with some RSS bot and is pretty great BUT its a thing of freedom… I want to use free software to do the same thing and i see Deltachat could be game changing here.

Openstreetmap have some feeds to keep track about multiple services[2] and the result is the next image ( RSS feed from one of them )… Maybe in the future should be possible some deltachat bot that talk directly to the OSM API :slight_smile:

I installed Deltachat Desktop and use “feedsbot@hispanilandia.net” to emulate the same… Boom! works like i want ( maybe a little slower to get the message vs Telegram ). So this are my questions:

deltachat09

• I want to confirm the option to create a group/channel and have the same rss bot send changeset notifications to multiple people ( i think its possible but i have to test that ). This can help to monitor cities, states, countrys, etc to improve QA on map.
  • If i understand right i need two things, a server for deltachat bot and a mail-server / mailbox ( can be the same or can be separate )… I see you use mail-in-a-box, any advice for this? Why this in particular? Any other tested mail-servers?
  • What are the numbers of sent emails for public bots? bandwidth? ( How many hourly… So i can check about limits of external providers )
  • Time to retrieve RSS feed is configurable?
  • I see public bots have instances on “testrun.org” / “hispanilandia.net” / “buzon.uy” / “systemli.org” … Shared/VPS/Dedicated servers? Where are these located ( country )?
  • Any other info that you consider important about infra would help.

Im gonna write an article on osm blog to show this alternative to Telegram, when i complete all tests and get the big picture of workflow ( yeah for sure on spanish because is my main language ).

Im open to any recommendation!

Thanks a lot for the help!!

[1] www.openstreetmap.org
[2] Feeds - OpenStreetMap Wiki

2 Likes

I wish I could help … you are asking many of the same questions I am.

I think mail-in-a-box is being used because its a really easy to deploy mailserver that can be installed on any VPS.

I’m playing with tgbridgebot@hispanilandia.net to bridge telegram with Delta and it also works good except the bot is in Spanish. It does have limitations on number of emails but I’m not sure if that is a limitation on telegram or baked in by the person hosting the server. I use Yunohost (this would be in place of mail-in-a-box) for my personal files so I expect to be able to use this as my email server, but still experimenting.

If you get anywhere with your project, please document it as there is very little on instruction here. I will do the same.

Thanks!

yes, mailserver and bot can be on completely different machines, also the bot can run anywhere no port forwarding required.

If you are not against using docker I would recommend https://mailcow.email otherwise any email server would do, should not have strange limits or too aggressive spam filters and a few basic IMAP extensions: IDLE, CONDSTORE, QUOTA (quota is not required)

testrun.org was normal/manual postfix/dovecot, now it is running mailcow.
Generally I would say just try it out, most servers should work as long as they follow the email standards (IMAP and SMTP, autoconfig.xml if you have non standard ports and want to skip advanced setup.)

@adbenitez has some statistics about his bots, but depends on how many people would use the OSM feed thing you’re offering.

Yes,
The HOW depends on the bot code you run/use:

• testrun.org - test server for the deltachat devs, there are plans to turn it into a “real” provider with limited accounts to test deltachat out. currently hosted by the server cow folks (the people behind mailcow)
  • hispanilandia.net and buzon.uy - I don’t know, probably hosted in a Spanish/Portuguese speaking country? again @adbenitez can tell you more
  • systemli.org - invite only, leftist collective, probably hosted in Germany (friendly project, they allowed us to offer DC users to use their jitsi instance as one of the default video chat options)

The biggest userbase of deltachat bots is in Cuba currently, so the provider choice is also about what providers work good in Cuba (not being blocked)

Generally delta-chat focuses more on the email client, delta-chat does not have own servers (except for the notification relay, which is currently a heartbeat server pinging iOS devices, so that deltachat can wake up from the background to ask your mailserver for updates, maybe we’ll need that for the android version too in the future see https://dontkillmyapp.com)

Hi, very helpful information!! Thanks @Axe and @Simon… Actually i’m trying to configure simplebot + simplebot_feeds ( pip install git+https://github.com/simplebot-org/simplebot_feeds ) on shared hosting ( DirectAdmin + Python… Should work on cPanel too ), and first test with echo plugin was positive:

By default “Aplication startup file” is a passenger_wsgi.py file ( maybe i need to change this for app.py?.. I don’t know anything about python but i’m open to learn )… The easy way for me is deploy on VPS mailserver+bot, but if i can run this on shared hosting other people could follow to use this install metod :slight_smile:

I was researching about some mail servers:
https://mailu.io

https://wildduck.email/

At the end for production i think will go with some VPS install… But i like to test the easy? cheap way first :slight_smile:

my public feeds bot sent 20677 in 7 days last week, I don’t track bandwidth usage but that depends on the bot, an RSS bot has low bandwidth usage since it fetches only some XMLs from time to time, while a browsing and file downloader bot will use more bandwidth but it all depends on usage, I don’t think it is relevant unless your bot have a lot of users and your VPS has some low internet quota ex. n GB of traffic per month.

you don’t need your own email server to setup delta chat bots, people setup bots even with gmail accounts, but of course if you have your own email server that makes your life a lot easier to have all the accounts you want with the names/addresses you want and without the anti-spam limits of some providers (which are not an issue if it is a bot for personal usage or for an small group of friends)

since most Cubans don’t have hosting, what they do to host their own bot is to use Heroku, for example I created this project to setup with one click! a browsing, downloads, uploads, translations and memes bot (multi-use bot):

Perfect!.. I can send 300 email/hour max with one of my providers ( so maybe i dont need to install a server yet )… How much RAM need this bot?

Like you said, is better to have email server because of control… Maybe something like GitHub - ushis/mailhook: Micro service receiving mails and posting them to web hooks. + postfix should be interesting to try.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Hi again… Some update:

• Bot online and blog post (spanish)
  • The bot is installed on OV7 NAT VPS ( 1vCPU / 512MB RAM / 10GB SSD / 500GB BW / Debian 11.4 ) from Gullo’s Hosting Beauharnois, Canada
df -h
Filesystem         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/ploop42552p1  9.9G  1.1G  8.3G  12% /
none               4.0M     0  4.0M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none               256M     0  256M   0% /dev
tmpfs              256M     0  256M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs              103M  1.1M  102M   2% /run
tmpfs              5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none               256M     0  256M   0% /run/shm
free -m
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:             512          67         293           1         151         443
Swap:              0           0           0
cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 86
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1520 @ 2.20GHz
stepping        : 2
microcode       : 0x1c
cpu MHz         : 1270.935
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 20
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu cpuid_faulting pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb cat_l3 invpcid_single intel_ppin intel_pt ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm cqm rdt_a rdseed adx smap xsaveopt cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear spec_ctrl intel_stibp flush_l1d
bogomips        : 4400.28
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  • Email server is hosted with Mxroute ( Same DC as VPS - OVH )… This time i didn’t want to self-host the email server, that should be a future project :sunglasses:
  • Followed @adbenitez easy 6 steps tutorial:
    ** I have to mention this script to create systemd service ( Maybe you need to tweak a little, but works great )

Again, thanks all people who help build this… I hope Deltachat got more users in the future… Im open to any suggestion/question

2 Likes

hi @risturiz thanks a lot for sharing!!! that is great!!! and nice blog post! :eyes:

1 Like