Optionally using of remote or local profile picture

This discussion is related to https://github.com/deltachat/deltachat-android-ii/pull/150#issuecomment-443211954

Currently you work on remote profile pictures (like WhatsApp do).

I would like still use my local profile pictures I set in the local phone book (like signal do).
As I said in a other thread before, I pick my chats and contacts by there profile picture.
This works only if I set a explicit picture for a contact.
By using remote pictures it can change everytime (somtimes a dog, a cat, a comic, a concert ticket…:wink:)

I know, many people like the behaviour of WhatsApp. But there are also people (e.g.me) who don’t like it.

So I think a option to switch between local and remote pictures would satisfy both groups.

1 Like

There may be even no need for an explicit configuration switch here, just allow to override the supplied profile picture by selecting a local picture (and to unlink it again).

If I understand the implementation correctly it works this way:

If no remote picture available use the local picture.
Your suggestion is just a workaround.

And a simple switch for allow or disallow remote pictures would be much more user friendly and professionally.

Please no workarounds for relativ easy to implement things.:wink:

Usage of locale pictures is already implemented in the signal UI.

I don’t think it would be a workaround:

Show the remote picture if available, but as long as a local picture is defined always use the local one (overrides the remote picture in the same way as the generated default).

1 Like

So it would work for me.
But what happens if someone would still see the remote picture after he has created a local profile picture in the phonebook?

If I have to do something outside Deltachat to to manipulate the behaviour of deltachat, it’s a workaround.

Looks like four priority levels then.

generated emblem
remote picture
device address book picture
app override

I think you meant it in reverse order, right ?

• app override
  • device address book picture
  • remote picture
  • generated emblem

Owner of device should be still the owner of device in this case and owner’s preference should override anything external…

1 Like

okay, yes, maybe the easiest solution is to prioritize the local image set by the user over the one from the remote user.

@r10s
Do you mean pictures set in the locale phonebook or have I set for every contact a picture into DC?

For me, both is ok.

i meant, priorizing the local phonebook pictures set by you over the remote pictures set by the other person might be the easiest solution :slight_smile:

not sure, if this sentence is clearer :slight_smile:

OK, now I got it. :+1:

I was confused by “app override”
I thought there is also a way to set directly in DC a profile picture independent of the pictures in the phone book.

I think “app override” was how I understood you, sorry if i misunderstood you here. I think it can be left out.

1 Like

This looks like overriding the picture in deltachat may still be desirable: https://github.com/deltachat/deltachat-android-ii/issues/166

Howsoever… The main thing is, I can set local pictures and don’t have to see the “stupid” selfis of my contacts :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not able to get how this remote picture work, does it have to do with the possibility to add a profile picture to a PGP key?

the sharing of personal profile pictures currently does not work at all. - only group profile pictures can be shared currently.

when implemented, it will be just an image attached to a mail and marked as the profile picture (the image will be sent probably only if the recipient uses delta as well and will be sent only on changes). i think we won’t read pictures from pgp.

Do you mean profile’s picture would be sent un-encrypted and will disclose not only receipeint’s emails but also their “faces” ?

You can add a picture to a public key AFAIK.

I think @r10s means exactly this pictures which eventually attached on a public PGP key.

Please let me know if I’m wrong.

And I ask, what will be done when I receive a remote image, and I have the local image active, delete it or save it?