Returning "Message from XXX" -> "XXX Left the group"

Version 1.42.2 (git: v1.33.0-555-g9da03dd2)

Expected behavior

When leaving a group and deleting the “left” message it should stay deleted

Actual behavior

The group keeps being created again and again

Steps to reproduce the problem

Only recently started using Delta and here’s what I am seeing.
I invited many other users (individually) by sending them a mail via the app.
Then for some reason, every single one of them, starts a group conversation
instead of a one-to-one conversation. This may be a UX problem, I have no idea,
I myself have not receive an invitation to chat by someone else so I have no idea
what the UX is like. In any case, I then have to delete the group conversation and
ask them to use the one-to-one chat instead. Once they figure that out, I delete
the group converation (leave conversation) and so do they. But then that group
chat keeps popping up again and they keep leaving, so we all keep getting notifications about this.

Generally if you want to get rid of the group and expect that nobody is going to use it, it is better to archive or delete it rather than leaving so no “leave” message is sent. Then you can simply forget about this group.

So, some questions:

1. You installed Delta Chat before everyone else?
  2. You sent a messages to many users by starting a 1:1 chat with them? Or by creating group chats with them and adding members?
  3. Users did reply from webmail? Did they send a new message to you or use a “reply to” feature?

Hi!

1. I installed it before anyone else
  2. I added every user one by one, by starting a 1:1 chat and days appart
  3. This I don’t know for sure. I do know one of the contacts installed Delta, configured his/her account and then replied to me via the app.

I hope this helps.

It is not so easy to even reply to a message received before Delta Chat is installed because new setups of Delta Chat do not show old messages received before installing it.

You can usually see if they replied from Delta Chat by looking for a padlock on the message, i.e. whether it is encrypted or not. If they replied from webmail, the message will not be encrypted, while Delta Chat almost always will encrypt using Autocrypt.

This morning I received the message again:

Subject: Re: Re: Message from xxxxx@gmail.com
Body: You left the group

(everyone is in Delta Chat at this point)

I will delete this message, and later I will probably get it back again.

Here’s something I just noticed which might explain why everyone tends to create a group when
trying to add a new user:

By default there is no focus on the textbox box (1),
so to the user it looks like a label and they click the New Group (2) button instead
because it’s the most obvious to them.

There should probably be a “New Contact” button there,
even though you can simply enter a new contact in the TextBox.

Right now the “New Contact” button only appears after text has been entered into the TextBox.

1 Like

Do other users run Desktop or Android app?

On Android we have “New Contact” button right above the “New Group” so it is the first clickable thing. It opens a screen offering to enter email and display name or scan a QR code. It was added because of a similar issue: add explicit "create contact" · Issue #2794 · deltachat/deltachat-android · GitHub

If other users also run Desktop app, this would explain the problem. We then need to copy Android solution to Desktop.

At least two of them were using the desktop version yes.

1 Like