Some ideas about notifications and interface for Linux desktop

Some questions about the interface and usability for Linux desktop.

What’s really terrible is the notifications. In fact, they don’t exist. Because binding to the system ones is just for the sake of ticking. For linux, anyway. I don’t see them in my variant at all. Users with i3, DWM, etc. probably won’t see them either. And the sound ones are not provided by the design at all. ( Let me explain a bit more.

I’ve added 3 accounts. I can only see the notification in the form of a digit in front of the account by going through the chain Menu - Change account in the window with the list of accounts. And since there are no sound notifications, you may not know about new messages for half a day.

In order not to be only a critic, I suggest to take good old Psi+ (XMPP, the code is available on GIthub) as an example of a good notification system. Or Claws Mail. That is, I’d like to see pop-up notifications, a display of the total number of all new messages in a tray icon, and a display of the total number of new messages / new messages for the active account somewhere in a box in the interface. And normal sound notifications, of course, that work in any DE and window manager, like in Psi+, with their own sound files and the ability to select them. Ideally, a sound file for each account separately.

Left panel
(see picture).
I would like it to be able to minimize to the left edge before icons and change width. And to have a second variant of its display with a quick switch button - with the list of accounts. And with a notification box for new messages in front of each, a number or just a check mark - it doesn’t matter. And at the bottom, unified for both variants of the left panel, I would add a one-line box with a hint, in which account we are now. You can make it click on it to open the account selection (Menu - Change Account), or open up a drop-down (growing :relieved:) menu with the list of accounts. The top panel selector “Accounts/Contacts” is then unnecessary.

The account contacts panel just logically needs folders for organizing contacts and group chats.

По русски

Мысли и идеи по уведомлениям и интерфейсу

Что реально караул, так это уведомления. Как и во многих новодельных мессенджерах. По сути их нет. Потому что привязка к системным - это так, для галочки. Для линукса, во всяком случае. Я в своём варианте их не вижу вообще. Пользователи с i3, DWM и т.д. скорее всего их тоже не увидят. А звуковые не предусмотрены конструкцией вообще. ( Поясню немного подробнее.

Я добавил 3 аккаунта. Увидеть уведомление в виде циферки напротив акка я могу, только пройдя по цепочке Меню - Сменить аккаунт в окошке со списком аккунтов. И поскольку звуковых уведомлений нет, то о новых сообщений можно не узнать по полдня.

Чтобы не быть только критиканом, предложу взять за образец хорошей системы уведомлений старый добрый Psi+ (XMPP, код есть на GIthub). Или Claws Mail. То есть я бы хотел видеть всплывающие уведомления, отображение общего числа всех новых сообщений в иконке в трее, и отображение общего количества новых сообщений / новых сообщений для активного аккаунта где-нибудь в ококошке интерфейса. И нормальные звуковые уведомления, естественно, которые работают в любом DE и оконном менеджере. Как в Psi+, со своими звуковыми файлами и возможностью их выбора. В идеальном варианте - звуковой файл для каждого аккаунта отдельно.

Левая панель.
(см. картинку)
Хотелось бы, чтобы её можно было сворачивать к левому краю до иконок и изменять по ширине. И иметь второй её вариант отображения с кнопочкой быстрого переключения - со списком аккаунтов. И с окошечком уведомления о новых сообщениях напротив каждого, циферка или просто галочка - неважно. А внизу, единое для обоих вариантов левой панели, я бы добавил однострочное окошко с подсказкой, в каком аккаунте мы сейчас находимся. Можно сделать, чтобы по клику на него открывалось выбора аккаунта (Меню - Сменить аккаунт), или раскрывалось вверх выпадающее (вырастающее :relieved:) меню со списком аккаунтов. Верхняя панель-селектор “Accounts/Contacts” тогда не нужна.

В панели контактов аккаунта просто логически просятся папки для упорядочивания контактов и групповых чатов.

The main things I read here are:

• quicker access to other accounts
  • push notifications for all accounts (not only the selected one)
  • sound for push notifications (because your system lacks the sound I guess?)

Do you get notifications for your active/selected account when you have a different non-deltachat program selected?

I’m not sure what you mean by that? changeable width of the chatlist with option to only show icons like telegram?

If you install dunst, you will get notifications with any X windows manager. It definitely works with dwm.

quicker access to other accounts

yes

push notifications for all accounts* (not only the selected one)

yes

sound for push notifications

yes.

(because your system lacks the sound I guess?)

no. I have sound in all other software.

Do you get notifications for your active/selected account when you have a different non-deltachat program selected?

no.

*I’m not sure what you mean by that? changeable width of the chatlist with option to only show icons like telegram?*

I don’t use tg, but maybe yes. As at picture:

1 Like