Turn off encryption within a chat after it's been enabled?

Is it possible to turn off the encryption within a chat after it has already been activated? Meaning, future messages should not be encrypted? I don’t see an obvious way to do that. It doesn’t seem possible to create a new chat with the same person. What if encryption is no longer necessary and we want the conversation to be available within other email clients that don’t support autocrypt, but still sometimes use Delta Chat for those same conversations?

hi, @adamzea, welcome aboard :slight_smile:

Is it possible to turn off the encryption within a chat after it has already been activated? Meaning, future messages should not be encrypted?

encryption will be paused automatically, if participants use clients that do not support autocrypt or if they do not prefer encryption.

however, there is no option to send a single message explicitly unencrypted if encryption is active before (in case, you’re searching for something like that)

It doesn’t seem possible to create a new chat with the same person

you can create a new group and add that person to the group. that way you can have several chats with the only, single person. that is unrelated to encryption preference of that contact, however.

1 Like

So I can create a new group with the same person with encryption turned off, keep that conversation thread readable in any email program, and keep the encrypted conversation thread for secure messages readable in Delta Chat and any other client that supports Autocrypt if I copy my keys over. Thanks for the help!

@adamzea
If the purpose is to send only one or some messages unencrypted you can switch off encryption in settings, do your job (send the one message you want to do unencrypted) and switch it on later.
That’s easy to do, but think about this: This is the global setting which is valid for all chats!
(EDIT: say is more clear)

1 Like