Why is sending and receiving read receipts combined?

Hi!
I don’t get why I shouldn’t see read receipts that other users decided to send anymore as soon as I disable sending read receipts from my device. I’m new to DC, but if I understood correctly, I can still see all of these receipts in a “normal” mailer. So it’s not even saving battery, just hiding information.
This looks like a “political” decision since there’s no necessity to combine these two technically independent settings. In fact, if we had two settings, one to allow / deny sending receipts, one to display / hide incoming receipts, I guess hardly anyone would disable the latter.

Hi @Hans welcome to the forum,
the read receipts you see are for old messages previous to your action of disabling read receipts, I would like that those are shown but seems that most people got confused “why I still see read receipts if I had disabled it? it didn’t work?” and I guess that is why it was implemented that way.
So for messages you send from the point you disabled read receipts you wouldI would like that those are shown but seems that most people got confused “why I still see read receipts if I had disabled it? it didn’t work?” and I guess that is why it was implemented that way.n’t receive read receipts for them, so it isn’t a waste,it actually is useful to make the app a bit faster, and have less traffic, avoid some servers rate limits (too many messages in short time)

Thank you for your answer! Looks like I didn’t get the fact that read receipts are actually not sent anymore from the moment you don’t request them.

But my main point was a different one and my suggestion is then: Please let’s have two separate settings. One for sending / not sending read receipts for messages you receive and one for receiving / not receiving read receipts for messages you send. It’s two different things that deserve two different options. The first one is mainly privacy-related, the second one traffic-related.

one is privacy-related, but both of them are traffic related since sending and receiving read receipts generate extra traffic.

What you propose is something similar to how subscriptions work in XMPP(Jabber) it is possible to implement it that way in Delta Chat, but that adds a bit of extra complexity to the UI, but well it can be useful for some uses cases, but it is kind of unfair that you can see my check marks and I can’t see yours, so currently it is like:
“if you want to know if I am online, then let me know if you are online”
and I think it is ok this way and is how some messenger do it

All right. I think this is where we just have to agree to disagree.

I’d say, if someone has freely decided to send read receipts, he / she usually didn’t do that with the intention of only sending it to people who have chosen the same setting. Going further this way, one could decide to only show profile pictures to people who have set one as well. Again, just to be fair. And if I turn off sending read receipts, this doesn’t mean I don’t want to receive them for my sent messages anymore. It’s useful to see them from every contact who decided he / she doesn’t have the need for the additional privacy that comes with not sending them.

In a nutshell: You prefer the Signal way, I prefer the Conversations way. Thank you for sharing your point of view.

it is the XMPP(Jabber) way, Conversations is just one of the many XMPP clients, and absolutely not the best.

that is not the same as read receipts, since read receipts requests emails from peers, but well I have nothing against your proposal, personally, I would like that feature, just that I think it will make things more complex for most users