Allow to block full domain(or server)

When I tap in a message I am asked to block that user, but for a self-hosted annoying “friend” or spammer is really easy to just send the message with other email address from their server, so it would be really nice to ask to block user or full domain when I tap in a contact request, ex. when I tap a message from acc1@spammingserver.com I am asked to block acc1@spammingserver.com or to block all messages coming from server @spammingserver.com so all messages from acc2@spammingserver.com, acc3@spammingserver.com, …, accN@spammingserver.com

3 Likes

This will be useful to block some services that sent you generated email address to notify you, ex. github, or if I would like to block the Matrix email bridge since it is not compatible with DC, every people that write me from Matrix has a different email address, etc

Blocking in the meaning that they don’t show up or in the meaning that they get rejected by your mail server?

Either way, I think setting up a filter in the providers settings is the better way to go (although we can and probably should provide tutorials on how to do it)

1 Like

Also if we do enable blocking client side we should warn the user about the consequences of blocking email domains so they don’t block legit services by accident.

“blocking” here has the same meaning than blocking an user, and mean that all users from “somedomain.com” will be blocked in Delta Chat,
not all servers provide filters, ex. mine, Nauta :wink: and playing with server filters are not for a solution for an average user
and this will be useful to block emails form GitHub for example.

message similar to what you show when blocking an user:
“block all users from spammers.com?, you will no longer see their messages in Delta Chat”

does this need more explanations??
also users can see the domain in the blocked list.

2 Likes

Block in this context means hide in the client. The server parlance for block is reject. A softer case, like colloquial ghosting, is blackhole.

Reject generates an MTA response message.

Blackhole tosses messages into the void never hitting the inbox. This is not ‘trash’

An example for MTA rejection response is to send an email to a non-extant user in a domain

notreal@delta.chat

(assuming there is not a blackholing default sieve)