I’ve now used Delta Chat for several weeks and I thought I write up some thoughts, feedback and questions about it. This is mostly for AppStore version desktop 1.13 on macOS Catalina.
- First of all, Delta Chat is just amazing. I really mean that. Awesome job and thank you for all the work <3
- I wondered if the syncing between desktop and mobile client could be simplified. New users do not have much data and sending the backup via email might be an option up to 10mb. Maybe it even makes sense to hint users to do that after exchanging the first dozen messages.
- I wondered if BCC to self shouldn’t be enabled by default. Given you do have set up mobile and desktop client, it is confusing at first, which messages show up where and which ones don’t. If I understood correctly, BCC-to-self would solve that?
- Imo read receipts should be opt-in, not opt-out. They purport a pattern of personal surveillance that I find unhealthy. Just personal opinion of course.
- Some information hidden in FAQs and Forum posts could be more present.
- The usability with more than 1 account is a bit tiring imo. Then again, maybe very people few even do that? Is there any data on that?
- Are there a recommended Email clients that can continue to work with the Autocrypt keys generated by Delta Chat?
- How to backup my keys?
- The “new/unread” badge doesn’t go away when the app and the conversation in question is in focus. I need to switch to a different thread and back to make that happen.
- I would like to set an avatar for the users who do not have one. It’s just friendlier to look at faces than at letters (that also might be synced via internal email messages between devices)
- I am missing UI feedback on pulling/sending messages. Especially when the app had lost connection and was showing the red error box – what does it do? Is it checking for messages? When was the last sync?
- Related to that I miss a force refresh action so I can be sure I have the latest state from the server.
- cmd-m to minimise is missing
- Changes in settings are implicitly saved but there is no feedback in the UI about that.
- Some messages are lying around in the inbox instead of being moved to the Delta Chat folder (afaik Gmail only, my own mailbox doesn’t do that)
Will read through open issues next and see what is already open