Confirmation of Receipt not reliable

Yes.

That is why I mentioned the popup notification from the Android message center.

You remember that there is a “Reply” (“Antworten”) button in the popup. Please ask your contact whether he/she sent the reply by tapping on this button. If that is true, the message was obviously not read and replied to within the Delta Chat client, but from the popup. In this scenario it might be possible that no read receipt is sent back to you. However, we would have to know if this was the case, otherwise it was pure speculation.

As I can’t remember to have ever seen the pop-up-message-window on my smart phone, I try to understand from Your words:
Is it correct, that there are two options to answer a DC.message:

1. writing into the pop-up-window and press “Antworten”
  2. opening the chat and writing in the bottom line and pressing the “flyer” at the end of the line

So there was a difference in the confirmation handling between both ways, that with option 1. no confirmation is initiated ?

Does the pop-up-window contain the received message text?
Somehow my partner must have read my message, as he answered to the contents of my message.

You can take a look at the popup message I sent a few posts ago, where you can see two buttons named “Antworten” and “Als gelesen markieren”.

Yes.

Maybe, therefore please find out with your contact and report back. Thanks!

I guess, You missed my last sentence

It indicates that my correspondence partner obviously has read my message.

Nevertheless, I understand, that You are tired of this chat here.
So thank You for all the information, which really helped me to understand more of DC, while unfortuntately it couldn’t solve the problem.

No, otherwise I would not ask you to report back.

I am trying to explain that there are two methods to reply to a message: by the popup notification (press “Reply”), and within the Delta Chat view itself (by opening the app). Please check out both methods with your chat contact, then report back your findings. Thanks!

Does the pop-window show my complete message that way for reading (not only a note, that a message has arrived), without opening DC at all?

If “Yes”, I should tell my contact to always use the"Mark as Read" button or to open the message in the app.

When it is a short message, yes. The popup may not show media such as a picture or a video.

If there is different behavior between these two methods in regard to sending read receipts, we would appreciate if you do the test, because it might be an issue in Delta Chat. And we always have an open ear for bug reports. Many thanks in advance for your help to find out!

Ok: I’ve sent the request to my chat partner.

By the way, something what came across to me right now:
I tried the microphone symbol.
For me it worked like:

• I could speak while I was pressing the symbol. And
  • after releasing the symbol, the message was sent automaticely and immediately.

Is that an expected behaviour?

• I would prefer a two step procedure of recording a voice message and sending it. That would allow deleting voice messages, which didn’t work like expected or to break and continue the voice message.

Yes, but the next version will let you lock the microphone button, so you will not have to press it while recording your voice message. When locked, you can cancel the recording at any time.

Good news. Stop and continue of recording and separate submission, would be nice.

You may want to do feature proposals here: