Conversation Swipe Snoozing

For those of us who get a great deal of email. The ability to quickly sort and file messages quickly is paramount. Being able to file conversations in predetermined bins based on swipe left/right is one of the best features of mobile email client. It would be helpful to swipe conversations and mute them for a period of time or archive them altogether.

Here is my proposal:

1. Allow swipe left/right on people/conversations to be configurable.
  2. “Snoozed” conversations are sent to a certain folder in IMAP expressly for snoozing messages.
  3. Snoozed conversation who are older than the snooze time are shown on top.
2 Likes

I like the idea of snoozing the chat as a way to put it out of sight temporarily.

It is different from muting and archiving in several aspects.

Muting requires that you make the decision on the time you want the chat to be muted for. Snoozing can be progressive: first for a day, then if you swipe it away again without taking any other action it goes out of sight for another two days and so on.

Muted chats clutter your chatlist. Snoozed chats can be put completely out of sight only available deep in the settings menu because the chat will reappear anyway later without any user action.

Even when the chat is muted and archived, it counts towards the number of unread archived messages which is displayed on the archive chatlist item. Snoozed chats don’t have to increase the number of unread messages anywhere.

can snooze be seen as an additional mute state? sort of super-mute?

so, eg. in the mute menu after “Mute forever” sth. as (handwavy) “Mute forever and do not even count in badges”?

I don’t think there should be a “forever” option for snoozing. Otherwise it is too easy to lose the chat completely, you can just as well block it.