Draft for german wikipedia article

I have just started a draft for a german Wikipedia article
I plane to offer this offical to Wikipedia after release 1.0 in google play store and after 1000 downloads.

Wikipedia has rigur rules.
So we need to show the relevance of the article.

If you like you can help me to refine and correct (especially technical things).

And I also need help with the logo:

Please take a look to my draft:

2 Likes

Hallo webratte,

what is the official (registered) name of Delta Chat? On F-Droid it’s called “Delta Chat” but there are also other combinations like “DeltaChat” (your article) or “Delta.Chat” around and Wikipedia article should show the official one.

(hopefully the article won’t become a victim of Wikipedia’s “relevance dictatorship” upon release, especially the German branch seems to be very fast with deletion requests).

Hi @Sven
Thank you for your reply.
As I said before. This is a rough draft. There are much more things to refine before I will it offer to Wikipedia.

The GB reviewers are more rigur then the german.
I have already published a article for a open source messenger.
The german version is online for a longer time.
The english version was rejected.

It would be great if we could add some articles in magazines about Delta Chat.

And about the name. Feel free to change it. And also add informations if you think it is missing.
But be sure to stay neutral (no comercials).

deltachat/interface#16 for a discussion about the naming

In Goggle play store it’s called “Delta Chat”
So it would be logical if you call it everywhere as in this official way.

Yes, in F-Droid too… but the desktop version e.g. is called DeltaChat (without space)
I would vote for everywhere the same spelling too, but there are different opinions about that :slight_smile:

For unique “branding” I would vote for
Delta Chat (capital letters, space in between)

4 Likes

@ webratte
1° Basically a good idea.
2° proposal:
you wrote: “…herkömmlichen E-Mail-Client kompatibel. …”
change: --> link the expression “E-mail-Client” as well, as you did with IMAP, SMTP…
why: better to see coloured text as it is one of the major items - the link to the classical email.
regards

@Deludo
thank you for your feedback.

That’s a good idea.
I will add this soon.

From what this article says, maybe it would be better to list it as a “messaging app”, instead of “instant messaging” which I think was used in contrast to classic email writing.

it also says:
It has been suggested that this article be merged into Instant messaging .

Oops, right, I overlooked that. It makes sense, as the distinction “mobile messenger” is getting less and less original anyway.

For the deltachat article, that might mean to carefully emphasize the email network, the vast amount of reachable (and being reachable for) existing accounts (email users) (to explain Email-chat being (way above) in the “more than 100 million users” listing). See for example the intro on the homepage https://delta.chat and especially this changeset: https://github.com/deltachat/deltachat-pages/pull/154.

Maybe referencing or citing some definitions or explanations from this site could also be of help for the german wikipedia version: https://www.freie-messenger.de/sys_email/

We should always stay objective.

Wikipedia is not made for advertising presence.

See also me relevance check request:

So I think we have to wait a lot more.

I am not sure what you mean. Your link’s auto preview shows strange unrelated content in this forum, maybe edit the link, putting it in parenthesis to avoid that.

The look at the homepage edit was only meant to avoid forgetting any important key property in the description.

I think using more general terms, that mention the underlying features and standards, and third party references like for being a free messenger, should actually serve to be more objective and show the relevance.

EDIT: Adding references to the article seems important.

Feel free to edit the Article draft if you think there is something missing.

Other messenger pages seem to report some points in a history paragraph for example, but that’s something for more involved people.

Yes, you need to back all claims with sources. (Although thats still abusable with sources that link each other to create a loop, but we’re not doing that)

What about adding news articles to the sources?
Some suggestions:
https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2019/03/fosdem-2019-and-deltachat/
Heise coi article
OX coi website

1 Like

Here is a draft with the points I was thinking about:

Delta Chat is a free (https://www.freie-messenger.de/ ?) and open source Instant (E-Mail) Messenger with a focus on privacy and open standards.

Technically, it is an email client, also known as mail-user-agent (MUA), optimized for quick and easy-to-use “chat communication”, in which small chunks of information (deltas) are exchanged rather than longer classic formal emails. Delta Chat is the reference implementation of the Email-chat specification, and thus based on the standard e-mail protocols (IMAP and SMTP) together with several other standards like autocrypt, to enable chat messaging within the e-mail ecosystem.

After connecting Delta Chat with a standard email account login, it allows to chat with arbitrary e-mail addresses, regardless whether the other parties are also using Delta Chat, or not. Where Delta Chat is used, all chat messages (text, voice, photos and files) are automatically sorted into a separate subfolder and may be synchronized by multiple Email-chat client devices.

The supported operating systems are Android, iOS, Linux, and macOS.