LAN-decentralized-no-internet setup: mDNS + SMTP-server (postfix) + delta.chat (+ IMAP-server (dovecot)?)

I managed to run host1 .local and host2 .local using mDNS and each participant using its own simple-lightweight SMTP mail server, some details [1]

Then, now there is a possible setup-use case where you can use email in the same LAN, because thunderbird and claws mail allow to use a localhost mailbox (specifically, in file /var/mail/myuser). Next think I thought was to have a “decentralized chat” that would be possible if delta .chat manages the localhost mailbox.

I tried to login with myuser@localhost (it forces me to put a password), but it says login is incorrect. I also tried myuser@host1 .local, same error.

I would be very happy to see if more people is interested in this feature, and how feasible would be to include it in delta .chat

I also thought to include an imap server, would be nice that when it is localhost you don’t need a password (no authentication)

[1] https://gitlab.com/pedrolab/community-network-email-service

If you don’t have the autodiscover/autoconfiguration (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration/FileFormat/HowTo) file, you should fill out all the Advanced settings manually, have you done that? (imap server & smtp server address and credentials)

This(including an imap server) makes not much sense for the main version of deltachat, because:

• Most people would n’t use it and it makes the app bigger.
  • It wouldn’t allow for delivering messages that are sent while the receiving phone is offline from the local network (as example because the battery ran out) [yeah I know the normal smtp server tries to deliver the mails a few times, but thats not the point here]

I would rather suggest making a separate IMAP server app that can be setup easily and used for multiple purposes. Like you have a local network and an you just install that app on an old phone/laptop/device that you had laying around, connect it to the network and have an working email server up and running in like 2 minutes.

If you are searching for real peer2peer communication they are server less messenger projects that might be better suited for such a project.
Sidenote: this local network usecase is a bit similar to an email server in corporate VPN network.

Thanks for answering @Simon

After your reply I thought I had to continue with this thread when I had a imap server. Adding imap server was easier than I expected - and it works in thunderbird

this is the advanced setup (localhost in server parts also fail):

logs show that it tries incorrect authentication methods (tries to connect using SSL even when I switched it off explicitly)

"2019-09-01T20:10:58.070Z"	"main/deltachat"	"ERROR"	[{"columnNumber":11,"lineNumber":143,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js","functionName":"onError","source":"    at onError (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js:143:11)"},{"columnNumber":7,"lineNumber":151,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.dc.on","source":"    at DeltaChat.dc.on (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js:151:7)"},{"columnNumber":13,"lineNumber":182,"fileName":"events.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.emit","source":"    at DeltaChat.emit (events.js:182:13)"},{"columnNumber":12,"lineNumber":733,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js","functionName":"handleEvent","source":"    at handleEvent (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js:733:12)"},{"columnNumber":7,"lineNumber":29,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.binding.dcn_set_event_handler","source":"    at DeltaChat.binding.dcn_set_event_handler (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js:29:7)"}]	"Could not connect to IMAP-server host1.local:143 using SSL. (Error #43)"
"2019-09-01T20:10:58.127Z"	"main/deltachat"	"ERROR"	[{"columnNumber":11,"lineNumber":143,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js","functionName":"onError","source":"    at onError (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js:143:11)"},{"columnNumber":7,"lineNumber":151,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.dc.on","source":"    at DeltaChat.dc.on (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js:151:7)"},{"columnNumber":13,"lineNumber":182,"fileName":"events.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.emit","source":"    at DeltaChat.emit (events.js:182:13)"},{"columnNumber":12,"lineNumber":733,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js","functionName":"handleEvent","source":"    at handleEvent (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js:733:12)"},{"columnNumber":7,"lineNumber":29,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.binding.dcn_set_event_handler","source":"    at DeltaChat.binding.dcn_set_event_handler (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js:29:7)"}]	"SMTP-SSL connection to host1.local:23 failed (Connection refused)"
"2019-09-01T20:10:58.143Z"	"main/deltachat"	"ERROR"	[{"columnNumber":11,"lineNumber":143,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js","functionName":"onError","source":"    at onError (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js:143:11)"},{"columnNumber":7,"lineNumber":151,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.dc.on","source":"    at DeltaChat.dc.on (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js:151:7)"},{"columnNumber":13,"lineNumber":182,"fileName":"events.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.emit","source":"    at DeltaChat.emit (events.js:182:13)"},{"columnNumber":12,"lineNumber":733,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js","functionName":"handleEvent","source":"    at handleEvent (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js:733:12)"},{"columnNumber":7,"lineNumber":29,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.binding.dcn_set_event_handler","source":"    at DeltaChat.binding.dcn_set_event_handler (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js:29:7)"}]	"SMTP-Socket connection to host1.local:587 failed (Connection refused)"
"2019-09-01T20:10:58.215Z"	"main/deltachat"	"ERROR"	[{"columnNumber":11,"lineNumber":143,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js","functionName":"onError","source":"    at onError (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js:143:11)"},{"columnNumber":7,"lineNumber":151,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.dc.on","source":"    at DeltaChat.dc.on (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/src/main/deltachat/index.js:151:7)"},{"columnNumber":13,"lineNumber":182,"fileName":"events.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.emit","source":"    at DeltaChat.emit (events.js:182:13)"},{"columnNumber":12,"lineNumber":733,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js","functionName":"handleEvent","source":"    at handleEvent (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js:733:12)"},{"columnNumber":7,"lineNumber":29,"fileName":"/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js","functionName":"DeltaChat.binding.dcn_set_event_handler","source":"    at DeltaChat.binding.dcn_set_event_handler (/opt/DeltaChat/resources/app.asar/node_modules/deltachat-node/lib/deltachat.js:29:7)"}]	"SMTP-login failed for user music (Authentication is not supported)"

Thank you for your time