Make message's text selectable

Users want to select some text inside a message but they can only copy the full message to clipboard.

Expected behavior

Users can long tap a message, and go to the “info” option and see the full message, they are able to select some text inside the message.

Actual behavior

Users can’t select some text inside a message, if they long tap the message and select the “info” menu option, they can see a dialog with the full message and an option to copy it to clipboard but can’t select a partial string of the full text (the text isn’t selectable)

7 Likes

This would be very useful. I hope something like this applied to “forward” as well :wink:

1 Like

It’s time to remind this :wink:

It is already possible, although with some limitations

Very “needed”. For two cases: quoting parts within Delta and copy&paste generally cross-programs.

1 Like

Another practical reason of such feature would be for those cases where special, or certain links are not really recognized. One need to copy the text, maybe here, to follow up or copy the link.

Improved e-mail compatibility in version 1.20:

:mailbox: Read mailing lists
:mailbox_with_no_mail: Read HTML-mails
:mailbox_closed: Nice handling of support addresses
:mailbox: Many major and minor annoyances fixed

Read our new blog post about these first steps towards mail and more: E-mail compatibility releases - Delta Chat

I agree that this would be a good idea. (I’m bumping this thread since maybe it was forgotten.) I recently started using Delta Chat and quickly discovered the limitation that you can’t select text which is a hindrance to the use cases mentioned further above in this thread.

I like the text selection feature of Telegram on iOS:
Long press on a message it gets focused you get context menu, and you can select it’s text, you can also scroll it when it does not fit on the screen.
It can be seen in their announcement on Replies 2.0, Adjustable Link Previews, Name Colors and More (they also use it for partial replies, we also have a feature proposal for this feature: Partial replies in DeltaChat desktop)

It would be useful if the selected text could also be use for a quote reply, even forward or talk on “seperatly”.

Like always and ever again, my person urges to let source of origin be know, as else is simply copy-right refrigeration, stealing so to say. A common accepted virtue, to pay credit to the author, let origin be known and to counter wrong view of “I am not obligated, I have a right. It should mine”.