Password or PIN protection for opening app (local data encryption)

Expected behavior

Password protection for opening Delta Chat with local data encryption.
Like in Briar app.

Actual behavior

Just open an app without any protection and passwords.

Example Images

2021-08-11_16-58-28

3 Likes

some apps indeed have this feature, but IMO it’s not should be the responsibility of each app to protect themself, rather the responsibility of the OS.

3 Likes

In previous versions of delta chat I remember that there was this feature but it caused some bugs and issues so it was removed. In addition, the phone should be encrypted at the system level so it is a function, in my opinion, quite superfluous.

1 Like

My opinion there should be a protection at app level in cases when you HAVE TO unlock your mobile in some reasons and pass it to some one. :man_shrugging:

sorry to necro, but has there been any movement on this? having a passord that isn’t tied to devices adds another layer of security, especially on ios. It’s not prohibitively difficult to unlock an iphone if it has fingerprint set up, so another layer of security would be appreciated.

meanwhile, there is some progress in encrypting the whole database at rest, this is added as an experimental feature. however, that is stuck a bit, currently, the few resources available are spend in other areas.

for the concrete iOS thing:

It’s not prohibitively difficult to unlock an iphone if it has fingerprint set up

if at risk and you have the phone a few seconds in your hand, you can press fast six times the “on” button. that disables fingerprint or face-id and is helpful in some situations. just in case some readers do not know :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is usefully, need it

and in addition to simple “lock code”
it would nice to have option “another lock code” by entered which we will be logged in deltachat “just like” we “just now” instaled it.
with empty list of contacts…
with empty list of mail accounts…

i try to explain why “we” want have “this”
“there” easily can be “situations” when someone “CAN” force physicaly! you unlock - your phone and unlock your delta.chat - and better if there in delta.chat will be “nothing” - no chats no email - simply empty

encrypting the whole database it is good BUT! when many “around you” have physical supremacy over you - encrypting the whole database will not “help us”

1 Like

I also think that locking the app with password should be added to DC, many times you have to give your phone to others for some reason, and the phone password it is constantly used so it is easier for others people around you to get it.
This an app practically based in privacy and security so this should be an important feature to add.