Proposal: logo update

I like the logo design of @mray
It’s modern and clear shaped.

2 Likes

thanks for posting the comparison! I kind of like the color difference, i.e. using gray and black. not sure about the capital delta, like the smaller case one still a bit better :wink:

• 4 commenters not seeing improvement
  • 2 commenters seeing improvement
  • 5 likes (whatever that means)

Well, there is only so much a designer can do to contribute. Like on so many other projects there is no official design team to get in touch with. Now what am I going to do with this feedback?

This is a real pitty. A proposed code change would certainly be handled differently, but design issues seem to have to just happen ™ - or not.

Not receiving clear endorsement makes me regard this proposal to be failed.

Hoping the best for the project nevertheless!

-mray

@mray well, i think a sort of a design team would be warm welcome - maybe this can be a start?

however, i think start redesigning huge parts as the logo might be too much effort currently - the logo is used in several places, with several resolutions, optimized for android notification bar, apple style and so on. all this has to be changed which is quite an effort.
also the “little delta” just becomes a “little bit known” - maybe it’s just the wrong timing to go for a completely different logo.

but i would really like to see the “old” delta chat logo using an android-material-style-like-design instead of the gradient. same eg. for the icons used on the webpage and for other things.

maybe this incremental approach is a better way to start redesigning.

finally, again, thank you for your ideas. i do not think this is lost work even if the conrecte layout may not be used just now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not.

Your assumtion is that a design team won’t do the required work. Do you approach code issues the same way?

Maybe. But maybe it is the right time to make sure a better logo gets known instead. There is never a good time to change a logo. Generally it gets worse the longer you wait.

Now we are getting closer to the crux of it all. You want the exact opposite of what is being proposed. You like to keep the old logo. I agree that the entire look and feel could use a general update, too, and I may have ideas that may be very different in that aspect – but that isn’t what has been asked for, nor what has been proposed.

This just boils down to: “We are interested in your skills, but not your ideas.” To which I say “No thanks.”

I know nobody approached me to start working on it, I just took initiative and accepted the risk. You are under no obligation to act on it in an way. Id be happily surprised if you were right, though.

1 Like

well - i just don’t know as there is actually no design team :slight_smile:

to the logo as such, personally i am not stuck to the current one, but, as mentioned there are just some concerns.

I like much more the original logo :stuck_out_tongue:
Also if I see your logo, it isn’t clear to me what the app does at first glance

2 Likes

Doesn’t the name delta.CHAT tell you what it is about.

By the way, I like the design proposal by @mray.

@r10s What about implementing the FONT changes. I definitely think that is a leap forward.

Last comment: Design matters! … but it is less clear-cut as code decisions.

I was talking about the logo alone, sure if I put the name and a nice description, even a black spot would do the work

1 Like

To me the app logo is really nice, I think delta chat have a lot of functional problems to resolve that are much more important than a logo, and the current logo is just great!!

1 Like

You are just giving in to a self fulfilling prophecy.

My like was meant as ‘I see improvement’ :wink:

Anyway, IMHO if we do change the logo then the earlier the better as later users will be more used to the current one. And we have fewer users now so there are fewer users who have to get used to the new one.

Maybe a poll is a better solution? Like this: (if you do not mind about one aspect, just check neither option)

• General impression: The original logo is generally better
  • The updated logo is generally better
  • Symbol: The lowercase delta is fine
  • The uppercase delta is better
  • The ‘@’ (testbird’s idea) is better
  • Style: The original logo’s “style” is fine
  • The style of the new logo is better (more “modern”)
0 voters

I have voted for the “modern” logo with the uppercase.

But still I believe the logo update is not that important.
It’s always possible to change it later. Maybe on a bigger Version jump. Maybe Version 1.x to 2.

There are currently much more important things to do.
E.G. release version 1.0 :wink:

In my experience it isn’t a good idea to “outsource” specific design decisions to a public poll. My goal was to either gain support and trust by putting forth what I regard an improvement – or – not. And that’s fine, too. It saves me an incredible amount of extra effort to know this right from the start.

Thanks for showing your support though! :blush:

my biggest concern about the current logo is that it’s too similar to whatsapp’s one…
so how about doing something in between of the original and the new proposed one by @mray ?
at least I would get rid of the white outer part and the border around it, which make it that much like whatsapp’s one
and I would make some general changes to make it more material like (as deltachat desktop goes into the direction of material design too)

take a look at my proposal here:
https://github.com/deltachat/interface/issues/15
opinions?

FWIW I’ve been involved in a couple logo discussions in open source projects over the last years. Usually it was driven by the most active developers who defined what characteristics, colors they want, along with some rough ideas and examples of what they liked. And then get design suggestions (sometimes from professionals, sometimes from community) and select and refine the most fitting one. A few logos out of this process survived until this day, others were changed some time later again. Professional designers with experience told me that they need 1-2 persons to talk to and that discussing design in a large group does not work well in their experience or requires a lot more work. So, all in all, it rarely was an easy feat to get a new logo which finds agreement by larger parts of a community.

1 Like

I think a general poll and feedback from many people with no background in design is not the best way to make design decisions.

The current logo is not terrible. However, I think the proposed logo is more modern, refined and distinctive than the current one. It could give the project that little extra appeal to someone coming across the project that might make them look a little closer and lead to more users.

I also see some people making comments about how working on the code is more important right now than design work as if that is a reason to put this off. That is nonsensical IMO as contributors have different skills and a designer can work hard on that aspect without affecting the work of the programmers doing what they do.

3 Likes

I created

to collect all proposed logos so we can finally vote about them. If you have created a logo, feel free to post it there, so it can be included into the comparison…

@mray I hope you’re okay that I already added your logo there

What 1-2 persons would one have to approach in Delta Chat?