Reduce space on internal storage, disk full

I tried to reduce space on my internal storage, but had no success. Moving the whole app to sd-card did not work. The occupied space on the internal drive remained unchanged. Also deleting chats did not reduce the space. Where are the files stored? How is it possible to reduce the occupied space? Under archiving I understand just a rearangement, to make the list of chats shorter. Maybe it would be possible to move the archived chats to the external sd-card?

Maybe it would be possible to add an option to clean up a chat? Now I can choose between archiving a chat or deleting a chat. As far as I understand does archiving move the chat to an archive folder to keep the chat list shorter? Deleting leaves the messages on the server, but deletes the groups.

So it would be nice to have the possibility to delete the messages of the chat on the phone but leave the messages on the server and leave the chat empty? So I can clean up a group conversation but do not need to delete them.

archiving does not help saving space on the device.

but we will add a function to delete old messages in one of the next versions, it’s not 100% clear yet how exactly this will work out, however, the issue is known and will be worked on :slight_smile:

Hi all,

please look for similar issues at github issues for delta chat core and android.
There are some issues related using disk space, database compression, storage location and automatic delete (archive) of chats. One issue I imagine just now is “limit retained history” or the discussion related database “vacuum” function.

So far …

of course, it is great if users look up on gihub and it is a good idea to point to this here.

however, in general, it is fine to post here without even knowing that github exist :slight_smile:
this allows broader discussions without the need of a technical background.

Thanks for your input! I found the topic “Extensive memory usage on backup import” https://github.com/deltachat/deltachat-core/issues/261 but this is not the point.

• One point is the possibility to put the data on the external SD card and
  • another point is, if I delete a chat with many pictures and videos I expect the size of occupied data to be reduced.

If you want I can open new issues on github?

As workaround maybe I uninstall the app and install it fresh and empty again, this is no problem, but no solution. The workaround to vacuum the db on my PC looks complicated as I dont have a sqlitebrowser and is not suitable for a 08/15 user.

it’s totally fine to discuss this here.

the sd-card will probably not supported soon (or ever) by delta chat directly. there are lots of issues with that, among them security problems.
however, newer os support to expand the internal memory with the sd cards, and, of course this is also supported by delta chat then.

but, again, a function for cleaning up is already planned, you can track this issue here: https://github.com/deltachat/deltachat-core/issues/244