Set local profile pictures

Hi,
is there a way to set locale profile pictures for contacts?

Thank you

1 Like

as far as i know there is no such an option. however, although android picks the images from the local address book, the general idea is more to let the sender specify the profile image that is then send to contacted recipients.

send own avatar to recipients · Issue #807 · deltachat/deltachat-core-rust · GitHub gives some more details on that.

2 Likes

I don’t like this “showmanship” feature like in WhatsApp :wink:

I prefer to set own profile pictures for my contacts.
So there should be a option to show local pictures (eg.from locale address book) or the picture set abd sendet by the contact.

Threema use it this way.

Please don’t coerce me to see stupid, cool or boring profile pictures set by my contacts :joy:

1 Like

Is there an universal contact app on all three desktop platforms or would we need to roll out our own for this feature request?

The picture could set for every contact manually and stored in the DB beside the mailadress.

And please no sarcasm for feature requests :wink:

I really thought there might be a universal contacts application / api.

I hope this will be configurable, a lot of people actually expect that if they set a contact picture everybody will see it, like in social networks, it is up to the contact to decide how they want to look IMHO.

Also even if I had that contact in my address book I expect to see the picture they set in dc, not the one in my address book

3 Likes

I absolutely agree.

I know many people like it to share a own profile picture.
And of course it should implemented.

But for people like me still there should be a option to use local profile pictures instead shared pictures.

It’s no problem for me if shared pictures are the default setting if I can change it.

2 Likes

I stumbled upon an issue with applying a profile picture for a contact I created in Delta Chat only. Neither in the Desktop nor in the Android app it is possible to take a picture and to apply it. While for Android, the contact must have an entry in the local address book from which Delta Chat can pick up the image, there seems to be no solution for the Desktop version, yet. I would appreciate to see the function used to apply group images for contact profiles as well, if possible.