I would like to click on the … further actions button on a single message and select mark unread from here, and it would reset the unread marker to that message, close the chat and mark the chat as unread. I would then have the opportunity to continue reading the chat from that point on when I return later by clicking jump to unread.
it would help probably, but the idea of @ian seems to be that you can have read a chat fully, and then later, for any message, mark the thread unread from any point. if you re-enter the chat, you read message from there on.
while that may be helpful for some, it is not really a thing for the many. it is a too nerdy and too hidden feature for the average user we want to target and for what we’re usually doing in Delta Chat. also, it turns the very temporary unread counter into smth you start fine-tweaking from the user side on.
but: it is kind of a bookmark, you can already do that today by saving a message and tap the “go to message” button - that reminder not disappear by accidentally entering, and you even can have several of them per chat:
ah, sorry, i mixed that with the actually wanted and actionable item of only marking actually read messages as unread (and not the whole chat):
ftr, in contrast “remembering scroll position” is nothing agreed on nor actionable, it is not what most user seem to expect, and there is low interest otherwise
Yes, it happens often in high traffic groups that if I only have a few minutes, I couldn’t scroll to the end before I have to close the app and would like to continue where I left off.
The “geeky” use case is about quickly scrolling past the chat given a few minutes of free time to see whether there are anything urgent or actionable mentioned. If yes, note it done or do it, if no, scroll back and then read everything thoroughly when I next have time.