Workaround for "gmail oauth2" ("simplified setup") problems

while delta chat supports oauth2 for a while, google decides some time ago that an “additional client verification” is needed. we applied to this client verification, however, unfortunately, the first attempt failed for unknown reasons and “simplified setup” stops working.

we’re currently trying hard to get in contact with google about this issue.

meanwhile, as a workaround, if you want to use gmail with delta chat, you can do this as follows:

then:

• on a new delta installation, when being asked about “simplified setup” after entering the email address, answer “cancel”. then enter your gmail password.

• on existing delta installation, go to “profile / account settings” and change “advanced / auth method” to “automatic”. then enter your gmail password.

this does not affect oauth2 in general, only google. eg. yandex oauth2 is working as always.

5 Likes

Two weeks ago I tried to setup a goolemail account with oauth2 because I read about problems.

And it works fine for me since two weeks.
I don’t know why.

I just remember.
For k9 I have enabled “less secure apps” already.

For Google and DC I have still used oauth2.
And it works.

Maybe it’s related to each other?!

DeltaChat is now a verified app, i.e. OAuth works again.. @webratte

2 Likes

Tried to use gmail with oauth2 there is no connection, the messages don’t appear as mails and i can send myself none.
As by now the app is still useless for me, i am very sad.
Do i have to quit or is there another Workaround to connect to gmail but reduce security by chosing to allow less secure apps?.. :cry:

not really, you can enable two steps auth if you really care about security, and then generate an app password for delta chat, that said:

1. Delta Chat is open source, you could read the code and check with your own eyes they don’t steal your password or something like that
  2. Consider not using Gmail it self if you really care about privacy
  3. “less secure apps” isn’t any risk if you enable it to use Delta Chat it self, since that refers to other privative/untrusted apps that could steal your password, if you enable that setting to use just Delta Chat and not for other wierd email client, it should be fine, anyway generating an app password is more secure, once again, you are using gmail anyway so you shouldn’t be carying that much :wink:

BTW, Welcome to the forum!!! :tada:

4 Likes

“less secure apps” setting will be removed by Google, instead you need to generate an “app password”

1 Like