No messages shown in "contact requests"

Delta Chat version

1.8.1 F-Droid

Expected behavior

I expect a list of messages/mail addresses in the “contact requests” view.
Settings > Chats and media > Show classic emails is set to “for accepted” contacts.
It seems as if “contact requests” serves no purpose in this scenario? Or am I missing something?

Actual behavior

“Contact requests” view is empty, no mails or addresses shown.

Thanks for DeltaChat, support and your work on software freedom!

If you select “for accepted contacts” for your e-mail interaction, you will still get contact requests which you need to accept in order to also see non-chat e-mails.

Hello hpk and thanks for your reply!

So I should see contact requests that are non-chat emails? Why am I seeing none then? Or maybe I don’t understand what a non-chat email is. I thought that were all emails that are not send by an address I have marked as a chat-contact. Is that incorrect?

No, i wasn’t clear enough i guess.

“For accepted contacts” means that after you accepted a chat-message from someone (or sent them a message yourself) then you will see non-chat mails.

If you want to get all e-mails, including non-chat emails, of yet-unknown senders as contact requests then you need to use the “all” setting.

1 Like

Okay, but what does that have to do with the “contact requests” view?

I don’t see what this has to do with the “contact requests” view either.

I am talking about the “contact requests” view that shows up when the overflow menu is opened (three dots at the top right) and the option “Contact requests” is selected in that menu. Nothing shows up for me. My settings are
Settings > Chats and media > Show classic emails is set to “for accepted” contacts.
It seems as if the “contact requests” view serves no purpose in this scenario, or am I missing something?

1 Like

I second that, at least it should not be the way it is now because it does not make any sense. (BTW, the same is true for “No, chats only”.)

(Edit: Well, accepting a contact request does not only create a new contact, it also shows the message from that person in a chat. Therefore, if someone who uses a classic (non-Delta Chat) mailer tries to get in contact with a Delta Chat user, I think “No, chats only” should not prevent the contact from requesting, but a message like "A contact request from ‘xyz@example.org’ has been received, but messages cannot be sent/received to/from this contact unless Delta Chat is used on both ends.’ should pop up. Warning, feature request: In addition, the setting for classic emails could be set for each contact by adding a checkbox to “Accept receiving classic emails sent from this contact”.)

I was under the impression that “for accepted” meant “in your address book” (which DC is supposed to show, per FAQ). Maybe it serves no purpose because it’s broken.

the “accepted” in ”show emails for accepted contacts” means that you have started a chat with this contact. therefore you may want to receive non-chat-mails as well for that contact (or not).

1 Like

@r10s The problem is, you cannot accept a contact when “show emails for accepted contacts” is enabled, because then no contact requests come through at all. And there is just no notification about it. I would recommend to exclude contact requests from that rule.

The thing is, this “contact requests” view is always empty for the setting “for accepted contacts”.

Would there be any disadvantages if the “contact requests” view showed all normal mails? I think it does when for the setting “all”.

Definitely. This setting is meant for classic emails. Now, if I received a contact request from a non-Delta Chat user, and I had “No, chats only” enabled, I would be able to accept this request and send a message. But I will never get a reply back unless I change this setting to “accepted contacts” or “All”.

Wait, I don’t understand. Why would you receive a contact request from a non-Delta Chat user if you have “No, chats only” enabled? Do you mean what if you clicked on a mail that showed up in the “contact requests” view and send a reply?

But I wasn’t even talking about the “No, chats only” setting, but the “for accepted contacts” setting. Are there any disadvantages for that setting?

Of course I would not receive a contact request from anyone using a classic mailer with this setting, it was just my conclusion to your question.

Well, for now there certainly are some, as you know. It seems that any message received by Delta Chat undergoes the check for being a classic mail or not first. When classified as such and “All” (for classic mails) is selected, the message shows up as a contact request (unless the contact has already been accepted). But using “for accepted contacts” setting unfortunately ignores such mails sent from a classic mailer, so the next step to classify as a contact request is never performed.

If you choose “for accepted contacts” (for classic mails), you will not be able to receive classic mails from anyone else than a contact already known to Delta Chat. This can be a problem when someone tries to contact you with a classic mailer, but is not registered in your Delta Chat app, yet.

I have just opened a new thread, asking for a change in this regard:

All I’m saying is, there will never be any mails in the “contact requests” view if “for accepted contacts” is chosen. That’s my I’m suggesting showing the same mails as if “all” was chosen. And my question is whether there could be any downsides to that. But I don’t think so as otherwhise the “contact requests” view will always be empty and not serve any purpose at all.

Then my suggested option “For accepted contacts, but allowing new contact requests” would be the right choice for you. Let us see what the developers will think about it.

Maybe, but your suggestions is more complex. I can’t see any downsides to my suggestion. It’s not that I’m against yours. Mine is just easier and faster to implement.

I am afraid I cannot follow you well.

You mean that all messages shall be shown in one window?

Just click on “all” instead of “for accepted contacts” and then take a look at the “contact requests” view. That is what I want to see instead of an empty view. If it’s always empty, what’s the purpose of it? Or is it not empty in some cases?

This is what IMHO should be available with the setting “For accepted contacts, but allowing new contact requests”, too, otherwise it would not be possible to accept a contact. Let us not forget that we are talking about classic mails here, not Delta Chat messages.

I would think of something like this:

• “No, chats only”: Messages sent from a classic mailer are ignored, only Delta Chat messages are allowed. (That would be the default setting.)
  • “For accepted contacts, ignoring new contact requests”: Messages sent from Delta Chat or a classic mailer are allowed, new contact requests are ignored.
  • “For accepted contacts, but allowing new contact requests”: Messages sent from Delta Chat or a classic mailer are allowed, including new contact requests.
  • “All”: All messages sent from Delta Chat or a classic mailer are allowed, no contact requests are necessary (for messages sent with a classic mailer). (Personally I would never use this setting, but for some people who switch to Delta Chat it might be useful to instantly have their messages at one glance.)

What do you think about it?