Per chat encrypted messages (or separate secret chats)

Is it possible to make message encryption not global like right now, but per chat.
Like it is in telegram. You have open chats and secret chats.
This will be very convenient. I always need an open chat with my friend which I can search in web browser or any other email client. And i need secret chat with my family. And open chat for note taking. It is unrealistic to global switch on and off encryption for each message

2 Likes

If you receive a not encrypted message, encryption will automatically deactivated for this chat, untill you receive a encrypted message.

hello cyberlis, welcome to the forum,
I like your idea, since I have some people I don’t want to use encryption and have other groups/people I do like encryption on, and it is difficult to me to be setting on/off encryption quite often, and sometimes I send unencrypted messages by mistake

related:

1 Like

In the best case / normal scenario all your chats are E2E encrypted. I you use multi-device with delta chat your devices share the same private key so there is no need to have separate secret chats in my view. And if they were extra secret chats would they have other keys?

I don’t think you can use encryption(ex. importing your key) with webmails, also there are other reasons people may want unencrypted chats like, save traffic data on shitposting unimportant groups and use encryption only for really important/secret chats,
UPDATE: anyway, not sure if an app like delta should make it easy to have unencrypted chats, or rather encourage users to always use encryption if possible :wink:

1 Like