Direct mention on groups

User Story:
I have created a group in Delta Chat and started to chat with some friends. I am able to say something like “@tom: you are right” so it is clear to what friend I am replying to, “tom” is the contact name I have set for my friend but other users see the name they have set for Tom, internally Delta Chat replace “@tom” with Tom’s email so this even work for people that don’t use DC or that don’t have Tom as a contact.
Sometimes the group get a bit noisy, and I am somewhat busy, rather than completely mute the group notifications, I like to set the “direct mention only” option that will mute normal messages but that will notify me if someone mentions me.

10 Likes

Yes, I also think than this feature is very useful. Maybe check group messages for emails, and then notify user, which email message body has? I think this will be good, but I am only an user.

My person just thought on such. Possible technical not so burdensome aside of device synchronisation.

Naive thought: mention dedected would send an email (similar to recipient) to contact from ones contacts incl. also qr-code (as for MUA)

“X mentioned you in the chat Y. If not joined yet, use DC and scan Invitation code or replay to this mail in normal way” or something like that. Would also help to get others join and use DC.

As for DC: maybe such as an additional db-table collecting mention mails and “seen”.
Somewhere a selected mention list (like here in the forum) allowing jump to chat and message. In this way chats could run alone without the need to follow all, going into just if mentioned.

Sure “naive” expressed and mentioned (good to have a suggest and autocomplet function @a

Not sure whether the idea of a #chat

mention whould be fit into this “request” at the same time.

#chat-name “would” suggest a chat and creating a link to gain access to the qr-code for invitation or lets one jump to the chat if already member.

For MUA-recipient a short invitation and attached picture for scan would be again way to join DC.

“My person would “love” to have @All joined at #mention_chat here.”

# is already used/planned for #tags (clickable search suggestions like on twitter, mastodon and alike)

see message-parser/spec.md at master · deltachat/message-parser · GitHub

1 Like

Especially if the feature works with @adbenitez wonderful bots like IRC or Mastodon gateways.

On ordinary mailing lists, there’s not really a predecent of alerting people by including their full email address. Normally you say the name, like “Alice, what do you think about Bob’s proposal?”